Author Topic: Fed up with plant suppliers  (Read 5512 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Fed up with plant suppliers
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:02 »
I would really like a trip advisor style review system for plant suppliers. 

The latest to incur my displeasure is Suttons.  I ordered one variety of strawberry and actually received a different cheaper one.   It then had to go to the inconvenience of taking it back to the post office to return it.   They said all sorts of balony about crop failure and then labelling failure.   I just cannot understand why they could not have sent an email to ask what I wanted if there was a stock issue.  But most of all I should not have been able to order in the first place if they did not have the goodies.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Fed up with plant suppliers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:20:40 »
Step forward T&M and probably all the rest of the big websites.

This year they sent me: Pink fir apple in stead of Harlequin potatoes, red baron instead of hyred onions and a few other subs i.e. varieties that you cant buy in the garden centres substituted by Poundland stuff grrrr.

The thing is, they debit your card immediately when you place an order but the Credit Card companies say they shouldnt do that until they dispatch.  But, given their dispatch times, they could have a lot of trouble with cards expiring if they didn't.  But what that means is they are already on dodgy ground even before they send you the wrong stuff.

It's pants isn't it?  My New Year's Resolution is to stop buying gardening stuff online as there is a 50% probability you will be disappointed.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:24:21 by Ellen K »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:30:24 »
Um...I've been 'bitten' by 'biggies' few times too...and I try to keep my orders from them to minimum for now.
Everytime they sent what wasn't in order or in good condition, their customer services have received a telephone call from me....
Now I try to stick to proper nurseries that actually grow and supply their own stock...less head ache that way.
Bad customer service will eventually start hurting all big companies...there is now such amount of small suppliers that are slowly starting to eat into their profits..and the competition is on...

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 10:45:12 »
So far my list of annoyances is growing  The following four companies are now on my personal black list.

T&M  - raspberries very poor, replacements not much better.  Only seeds I get from them now are 50p from Wyevale!
Marshalls - some of strawberry batch were a different variety - fruit and leaves different - refused point blank to replace
Parkers -  bamboo very very small, first said it was too early to complain and then too late.  .  After four years it as still not produced more than a couple of pea size canes.  Raspberries passable.
Sutton - strawberries - sent wrong variety made me send them back.

I have started using Bunkers Hill Nursery near Woodstock, very reasonable prices, plants so far good but not tried them mail order.
But they only have limited varieties to choose from.

Ordered potatoes from Tuckers one variety unavailable, but they did at least email to suggest an alternative and ask if I would like that, something else or a refund.

I would welcome recommendations for suppliers.  I am currently looking for  Erika Raspberries and Big Ben blackcurrant.  What are Blackmor like?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 10:57:18 »
http://davesgarden.com/products/

Dave's Garden  (above) ranks over 7000 international mail-order companies based on readers' experiences with them. Very helpful in deciding which company to use.  I imagine if the company hears they're blacklisted they'll try to remedy it.

I've ordered roses on line and have now sworn off that because of substitutions. Maddening!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 11:01:04 »
Can't help with raspberries, but agree with you about Marshalls and T and M.   I even avoid T and M seeds when 50p.   I have had good service from D T Brown.   Plants and seeds.  Have ordered my seed potatoes from them this year.   

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 11:46:00 »
I have dealt with mr fothergills for quite a few years now,they are very good,i ordered some strawberry plants (albion)with a offer code off of A4A when they arrived 4 of 10 plants were very small and shrivelled up,i phoned them,3 days later i got a full replacement and a £5 voucher.. i would never use Kings seeds again as when i ordered for our allotment society 80% of the total order was wrong,i must have phoned then 10 times before they sorted it out,i didnt even get an appology,Victoriana nursery are rubbish too ive had to send back 3 grape vines as they were just thrown over my side gate,and as we rarely used the back door they have probably been there a week or more,all they said was get in touch with the courier,i said i DIDNT buy them off the courier
it took 4 weeks to sort out
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 16:47:00 »
Many thanks GrannieAnnie I will have a look at Daves site,  I like the plant descriptions on there.   Did not know they rate companies as well.  I shall have read and write some reviews.

I have also had some good things with Fothergills. Ordered some very cheap cambridge favourite on offer and they apologised about some being rather small but included 14.  Actually all 14 did very well indeed.

Got Seed from Kings last year through local allotment society and very pleased with the result and good discount as well.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 21:05:19 »
Have you tried RV Rogers, Pickering? They've a good website and I've never had to send anything back yet :angel11:

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 21:22:25 »
I agree with Greenlily, rv rogers plants always good.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 09:16:03 »
Blackmoor: I have found them very good and have bought quite a lot from them over the years.

Keepers Nursery are also very good, excellent quality trees and bushes

I'm not getting any more plants from T&M ever.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 09:58:35 »
It is so frustrating isnt it.

For years I used Plants of Distinction for my veg and flower seeds.  This year I also ordered some plants of Trifolium Ochleureum at the same time as some seeds of the same.  The plants were supposed to be delivered in July.  2 Months later I was still waiting so I started emailing etc, no response.  Eventually spoke to someone who said thye would be sent out the next week.  6 weeks later and two miserable looking seedlings arrived - far smaller than the seedlings that I already had from the seeds I ordered.

My biggest disapointments was that it is now another company that I'm going to steer clear of.

Best laid plans and all that

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 20:49:51 »
Personally I would never buy live plant material mail order. Go to your local garden centre and see what you are buying before you buy it. You are also keeping your money in the local community.
DaiT

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 04:12:47 »
I have only used DT Brown  they have never let me down. As far as Kings I got all dead seed in my last order (3 Years ago). Suttons spud seed order sent to wrong address in another town 5 miles away. Marshalls sent me all the wrong seeds with big fuss on getting it sorted out, T & M I have never used them but after looking at the experience of my friends would not use them if they was the last suppliers on earth. I stick more to local shops "Howards" in Pontlottyn are great for seed spuds onions and shallots and Bean sticks, and "Petes" in Bargoed are ok for all the rest of the seeds I need. Both delivery free of charge in fact I`ve had a lift in their vans back home with my order.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 19:57:21 »
I have only used DT Brown  they have never let me down. As far as Kings I got all dead seed in my last order (3 Years ago). Suttons spud seed order sent to wrong address in another town 5 miles away. Marshalls sent me all the wrong seeds with big fuss on getting it sorted out, T & M I have never used them but after looking at the experience of my friends would not use them if they was the last suppliers on earth. I stick more to local shops "Howards" in Pontlottyn are great for seed spuds onions and shallots and Bean sticks, and "Petes" in Bargoed are ok for all the rest of the seeds I need. Both delivery free of charge in fact I`ve had a lift in their vans back home with my order.

Actually you HAVE used T & M, they own D.T.Brown. :icon_thumleft: :icon_biggrin:
DaiT

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 23:23:17 »

Actually you HAVE used T & M, they own D.T.Brown. :icon_thumleft: :icon_biggrin:

That's bunkum, dt browns is owned by the fothergills umbrella, sorry,
Best laid plans and all that

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 05:34:02 »
JBA are always very helpful with their spuds.     :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 07:31:18 »
Never had any problems with Black moor, always good quality plants.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal