Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 93471 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #380 on: October 01, 2015, 12:37:13 »
I finished off making my mouse-proof strawberry bed with wire mesh running under the soil to stop them from tunnelling in as well as a full net support.  Just waiting on some deluxe Mara des Bois plants to stick in this autumn for a crop next year.

Also finished stringing up the last of my tobacco leaves on wire to cure under the shed eaves before it gets too cold and damp.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #381 on: October 01, 2015, 14:29:14 »
I usually consider the 1st October as New Year's Day in allotment terms.

I see it as a time of getting rid of the old and preparing for the new.

To this end I have started my winter digging, well actually I started yesterday as the weather was so nice.

By the end of the month I expect to be finished with the digging and manuring at least as far as I can due to having a couple of beds dedicated to winter and spring greens.

Then in November I put my potted more tender stuff into cold frames and the heated greenhouse for winter storage.

Meaning December is free to indulge myself in preparation for Jan/ Feb when I start up my seeds that need a long growing season.

So that is what I will be doing not just today, but for the foreseeable future.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #382 on: October 01, 2015, 16:08:46 »
Surveyed the first minor frost damage, no air frost yet, but a couple of squashes are clearly not happy and their leaves are damaged, ditto one bean plant - cold spot in the garden furthest away from fences and hedges.  The min/max thermometer says it was 4C at the lowest, but it is in a little more sheltered place.   Squash foliage usually dies here at 3C.  The squash fruits are fine down to 0C.

For the rest I can't complain, still harvesting blight-free outdoor tomatoes and the potatoes are still growing (although also looking a bit worse for the frost) - this has not happened for such a long time, and it really bumps up yields dramatically.

Lots of Achocha too.  But Wautoma cucumber in the greenhouse is still going well also (thank you to the kind person who added seeds to the round-robin parcel)   :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #383 on: October 01, 2015, 16:42:02 »
today well where do i start renewed 3 posts with donated fibre glass 3inch square posts cut the grass planted out the spring boarder cut edges dug 2 beds half filled 1 bean trench with blown lettuce then covered that with pigeon droppings dead headed dahlias collected cosmos seed feed the pumpkin 3 times with 60 litres  each one each time then come home and started on the garden a busy day
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #384 on: October 08, 2015, 17:35:36 »
Well, I confess that for one reason or another, my three plots on two sites have been dreadfully neglected for months and got into a shameful state. Galvanised by a Town Council Site Inspection this week of two of them, it took me 8 long sessions to transform them over the couple of weeks I had before the inspection, and they have passed, and I feel a lot better about them.

That leaves the third on the second site, even worse. So today I made another start on my plan to fill giant weed bags with weeds, soft prunings and compost from home, spread them over one area of my allotment weeds (slightly stamped on), and cover the lot tightly with tarpaulin, fastened down with ground staples. I have done this before when a bed has got out of control, also adding thick grass scythings on top of the weeds and under the tarpaulin, and one particular bed has been the best of the lot ever since for crumbly fertile soil and good plant growth.

I also unearthed from earlier plantings two marrows, three cucumbers and a lot of dried bean pods, plus some apples off the tree, so not too bad after all.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #385 on: October 08, 2015, 18:25:38 »
there is a train of thought when the tarpaulins come out its time to leave don't mean to be negative and its none of my business but 2 well looked after plots would prob give you more yield than 3 half worked :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #386 on: September 11, 2016, 20:21:42 »
Big old day on the plot today!  Pulled up all the blighted tomato plants (desperately hoping that the green fruits I collected might ripen on the windowsill - but I don't think there's a chance!) Pulled up all the sweetcorn plants (complete with rat decimated cobs) Pulled up the bean plants to dry the beans in their pods under the shed (Brighstone and yin-yan from ACE - looks like a good crop) - dismantled the beanpoles, took the netting off the brussels sprouts which had been growing between the bean rows, erected larger hoops for the brussels sprouts to carry on growing and put new larger nets on them.  Weeding, weeding and more weeding!

It's coming to that busy time!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #387 on: September 13, 2016, 18:30:08 »
Netted the fruit cage, had to get the Yeti in Pink Knickers to help, so not the most restful of a morning. But on the good side she did do it very economically so I have plenty of spare net to raise the height of the brussels. I told you that you ordered too much!  put it over the frame the other way! now you have netted me in! why don't you have a door to get out with! She does have a native American name It is Five Horses, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #388 on: September 25, 2016, 14:18:52 »
thought id harvest a few sweet and chilli peppers from the greenhouse and continued the winter digging even though its 22 degrees at the mo

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #389 on: September 25, 2016, 20:16:30 »
Snap! Dug and mulched with cut grass where I have an empty patch of garden.  Harvested tomatoes and beans.  Turned over a compost heap.  :wave: 

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #390 on: October 03, 2018, 11:32:21 »
So not much has happened in the garden since I was last here, they must all be terribly overgrown. I've done nothing today because it's raining, exactly what I need to bring the worms up to all that manure I finished spreading yesterday.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:42:57 by Plot69 »
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #391 on: October 03, 2018, 12:09:03 »
Watering  again.  This is getting very tedious. 
I have been covering my dahlias at night we have had three frost in a week.  Last night ok so let them be. 
Clearing  away courgettes beans etc they  have had it. Have planted green manure, keep having to water it.
Really enjoying flowers on my dahias.  Watered them.
Planted Wizard broad beans.  But them next to a couple of water butts which I hope will keep the worse of the wind off.  Watered them.  Put some more to chit.
Spinach sown about three weeks ago looking good, grazed a few leaves.  Sown some more.  Watered it.
Russian kale looking good, watered it.
Chatted to some plot neighbours.  They had amazing potatoes, they had watered them 2/3 times a week.
Found half a bucket of potatoes.   
Barrowing Manure.   Have filled a compost bin with it, added some yoghurt hoping this helps re weed killers.
Someone is stealing my carrots!!!

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #392 on: October 03, 2018, 20:27:35 »
Right at the very beginning of this thread, I posted a picture of the garden in my new house how it was before we moved in. Well, here it is 6 years later, complete with child labour...
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #393 on: October 03, 2018, 23:24:57 »
I've been sh** shovelling. Moving a delivery of well rotted horse manure into a large compost bin. Also preparing  a site for a new cherry tree - variety Stella on a Gisela5 rootstock.  Expected soon.

My allotment is in an urban setting, and so far I've not been affected by frost. Still got some tomatoes ripening, French beans, tomatillo, that I hope to harvest before any more frost damage hits. It has been a good season for squashes, but I still have about a dozen on the ground that I hope will ripen further

I have several patches under green manure. But some bare patches where crops like sweetcorn have been cleared. Thinking about where to set autumn garlic. The elephant type needs to go in soon.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #394 on: October 04, 2018, 10:24:20 »
Nothing none in last few days had gardeners in to clear a load of stuff out etc but still lots to do. Greenhouse still going full of tomatoes etc but will be clearing that this weekend of some of the plants. Also need to take some cuttings for next year of some of the plants and move some of the tender plants into the greenhouse once i make space :)

Incinerator is all setup (metal one) and will be getting some jacket potatoes and triple wrapping these in tin foil and popping into the bottom of the incinerator to make jackets (no idea if that will work but though it would be fun to try :) might microwave them a bit first ) I have been clearing out loads of paperwork as well to help get the wet stuff going.

Also moving the marigolds to the brussel spouts as a sacraficial plant for the green fly and will be attacking them with a paint brush to try shift them this weekend.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #395 on: October 04, 2018, 14:51:40 »
Continued with my garden renovations;

Managed to get my shrubs transplanted today.

Been waiting for some rain in the forecast and apparently we  can expect some tonight.

Based on predictions in the past few months I won't hold my breathe so I really drenched my transplants.

As I was doing it I thought that they might have got more water this morning than at any time since last winter.

I am optimistic that due to the very dry rootballs I saw,  they will soak up this drenching quite quickly and settle in before the onset of any really foul weather. (see below for before & after pics)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #396 on: October 04, 2018, 18:10:20 »
I went to Baytree garden centre in Spalding to try to get some raspberry canes, they had everything but. So I bought 6 bags of farmyard manure for the bed they're going in. Can't use that provided by the council as it's far too fresh. Going to dig up the primacanes I have in the garden and see if they fare better over the plot.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #397 on: October 04, 2018, 22:50:58 »
I went to Baytree garden centre in Spalding to try to get some raspberry canes, they had everything but. So I bought 6 bags of farmyard manure for the bed they're going in. Can't use that provided by the council as it's far too fresh. Going to dig up the primacanes I have in the garden and see if they fare better over the plot.

How old are the canes you intend to move?  They tend to lose vigour after a few years. Sometimes they will crop well for seven or eight years. sometimes even longer, but sometimes deteriorate sooner. If they are five years or over, maybe better to go for fresh canes rather than move them. Also if a bed has been used for some years you possibly need fresh ground. Even new canes may not thrive if planted in an old raspberry bed.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #398 on: October 08, 2018, 09:03:05 »
Moved my canes yesterday. They're only a couple of year old at most. I think my garden soil is too heavy for them.  They're now in a well prepared bed with plenty of well rotted manure. They've got two chances.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #399 on: October 09, 2018, 19:50:21 »
Moved my canes yesterday. They're only a couple of year old at most. I think my garden soil is too heavy for them.  They're now in a well prepared bed with plenty of well rotted manure. They've got two chances.

Well done!  That is a shrewd observation about your soil. Raspberries do not like getting waterlogged.

I picked two punnets of raspberries today. (Autumn fruiting types). In an urban setting with slight extra protection from the netting over the fruit cage I've avoided any frost effects so far.  Fingers crossed for one or two more pickings!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal