Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 93475 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #360 on: July 07, 2014, 16:14:11 »
On to my second line of early spuds.   :happy7:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #361 on: July 21, 2014, 10:36:54 »
I pulled up the first lot of onions that were ready, tidied the tomatoes, tied in the cucumbers again, picked more courgettes (soooo productive), planted out a wild volunteer tomato plant that had sprouted in a corner (might not have time to fruit, but thought I would give it a chance! and nicely weeded the beetroot, carrots, cabbages.
Suddenly I thought to myself, hmmm the light is a bit funny and I turned round to see the hugest black cloud just to hover over the site. Quickly I whipped the onions up off the ground and into the bag, and ran into the shed to put away the hoe and spade. Came back to get the onions and went to the shed to put my shoes on, when suddenly the heavens opened up and I spent 20 minutes cowering in the shed while torrential rain poured down. Oh well, we did need some water badly...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #362 on: September 14, 2014, 20:58:36 »
Dug up more Kestrels
Hoe ed weeds
Watered
 :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #363 on: September 15, 2014, 06:58:10 »
Been planting out my strawberry runners, some of the plants very sturdy indeed with a whole litre pot full to the bottom with roots.  I am hoping they have another month of growing so should produce some nice fruit next year.  Fed and watered them very dry here.

Now starting on the over winter onion patch.  Bit of a jungle at the moment.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #364 on: October 05, 2014, 12:39:04 »
Harvested the last of my Kestrels and started on my Roosters, also a few Onions and three Sweetcorn.   :happy7:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #365 on: April 13, 2015, 08:32:02 »
Winter break.

Yesterday I planted up a bag of compost with Manille strawberry plants. Picked some kale and started to thin baby peaches.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #366 on: April 13, 2015, 09:06:27 »
Winter break.

Yesterday I planted up a bag of compost with Manille strawberry plants. Picked some kale and started to thin baby peaches.

What!...thinning peaches already! Mine are nowhere in that stage yet. I can see that fruit have set but even the now dying/dead flowers haven't even dropped off yet, very early stages.
When is you fruit ready for cropping?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #367 on: April 13, 2015, 09:56:56 »
No idea of harvest date, just when they are ready. Not sure why but plants have been quite staggered flowering this year. The most forward are the dwarf ones and they are ready for thinning, but the nectarine dwarf still have dead flowers hanging on. They are all in the poly tunnel so sheltered although the doors are open all year.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #368 on: April 13, 2015, 10:49:59 »
No idea of harvest date, just when they are ready. Not sure why but plants have been quite staggered flowering this year. The most forward are the dwarf ones and they are ready for thinning, but the nectarine dwarf still have dead flowers hanging on. They are all in the poly tunnel so sheltered although the doors are open all year.

Ah...dwarfs!

Well..my big tree has been flowering for loooong time..not the usual 'one off' flush of flowers and 'job done'. But this year the tree is has been getting much more 'fresh air' since I lost several glass panes from the GH. Let's hope that this 'long flowering' does stagger the crop too..the fruit  always seem to ripen all at once and many get wasted as one cannot keep up with 'sucking and slurping'..though I do prefer them slightly crunchy stage of development..sweet and crunchy  :icon_cheers: :happy7:

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #369 on: April 19, 2015, 15:07:37 »
Earthing up spuds
Sowed Carrrots
Hoed-ed weeds
Covered some ground that has been a bit over ran with weeds
 :blob7:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #370 on: April 19, 2015, 16:35:27 »
Sowed beetroot, shredded some clippings and picked rhubarb, PSB and perpetual spinach.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #371 on: April 19, 2015, 17:03:12 »
Prepared the last of my four smallish raised beds then, having caught a b........dy cat using one of my young apple trees as a scratching post, hastily erected chicken wire protection round three of them. Need to buy some more tomorrow for the pear, plum and cherry trees. Hope the damage already sustained won't kill the trees! They are just starting to flower.

Tricia

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #372 on: April 19, 2015, 21:15:52 »
Looks like a good year for my plum and greengage trees, both are absolutely covered in blossom so I'm hoping for good crops. I'm always shocked at how many flowers my morello cherry can produce, but we never get many cherries because I always forget about netting it until it's too late and the birds have stripped it.

I need to prune those trees this year, they've been sadly neglected.

I'm hoping my pears don't get rust this year. It's been quite bad the last few years, poor trees.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #373 on: May 24, 2015, 22:16:48 »
HI All,

I have spent the last 3 weekends doing a little bit most days and have managed to plant up my large flower bed in the garden with Harriets help.

Raised beds still have to be done but other things more urgent and taking things easy as i get so tired.

I have found a great local gardener just setting up who has been attacking some of the jobs i cant manage any more so a couple of problem areas have been fixed. Mother in law is moving in with us on a perm basis in a few weeks so have been clearing space for her things. Will be nice to have her here and not worry about her being so far away.

I have runner beans and peas growing on and will be able to plant these out into pea and bean beds in about 2 weeks.

Sewing herb seeds tomorrow with Harriet so i can populate the herb bed - had to rip out most of the plants thanks to next doors cats pooping on them.

Feeling hopeful   :coffee2:

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #374 on: May 25, 2015, 19:56:14 »
Planted out a line of Kestrel, a bit late for me.  :drunken_smilie:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #375 on: May 25, 2015, 21:57:09 »
Planted out a row of red onions grown from seed. (Think I'll go back to sets next year as germination was poor). Spent an hour or so digging out grass, buttercups and bindweed, mostly in areas where I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago.  :BangHead: (Just did a search and can see I have contributed 30 times to threads on bindweed!)

Bonsai Si

• Not So New ...
  • Life should be more like Bonsai...
« Reply #376 on: May 26, 2015, 02:21:24 »
Dropped off some paving slabs to start making the base for my shed, chatted with the next door plot owners, checked how the weeds are dying after nuking them with Resolva. :D

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #377 on: May 26, 2015, 08:44:52 »
well as ours is a garden as we moved and lost our plot I let Jude loose on an earth mound full of weeds with the strainer and yours truly tipped the resulting clean soil onto the tatter toppings,so now their steadily getting a nice earth cover.

Transferred some Beetroot seedlings from the GH to different parts of the garden,not something ive done before as I normally
just plant the seeds in situ....so will see how these get on.

Netted our cabbages and sprouts as last years were destroyed by cabbage fly.

set up our salad mini GH did the usual cheat by placing a grow bag in it and sprinkled some cos lettuce and mixed leaves.

nipped the seed heads off our autumn planted Onions....enjoyed the stalks for lunch in a cheese roll.

had lunch..................

transferred some mini olive tommy plants into the soil in the GH.

most important job was to dig a trench along the back fence and place an old door as the latest anti Badger device....I guess the chicken wire is next.... :BangHead:

GazNjude

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #378 on: July 05, 2015, 19:18:52 »
planted out spuds
dug over more ground

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #379 on: October 01, 2015, 12:05:03 »
Potted up some saved Elephant garlic cloves, I'll plant them once they have rooted and I've decided where they are going.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal