Author Topic: is this the place for a rant?  (Read 6030 times)

Nora42

• Acre
is this the place for a rant?
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:36:22 »
Hello,
I am on my the 6th month as an allotmenteer. 2012 has been tough and I have not let this put me off. Roll on spring. When I introduced myself I mentioned that the allotment had been run by the same lady for 30 years. it has seven apple trees on the plots and they all need pruning. I have started to remove dead wood and crossed branches and also the local trust where we live is going to come and prune them for me this winter.
yesterday I was at the back of my plot when one of the neighbours arrived she did not see me at first and walked onto my plot, I said hello and she said (after jumping) "where are all the apples" I explained that there have been very few and that myself and my family have been eating the ones that where produced. "oh" she said mutterring away. I told her that the bad storms and late frosts in the spring seem to have lessened the crops - she regarded this as nonsense and told me that I have sent the Bramley into shock and that the apples trees have not produced because they know Rita (previous owner) is dead. I laughed and said "yes Rita is probably turning in her grave, anyway the trust are sending the tree surgeon to prune the trees"
"they don't need pruning" was her answer "yes they do" said I, "they completely shade my allotment and and they are going to be pruned"
"well" said neighbour "if you want to be completely selfish , and this will always be Rita's allotment not yours"
thanks lady for the stinging parting dart, I know that stepping into dead peoples shoes is not and easy thing to do but I think that comment was really nasty.
Wouldn't mind but the two prime location allotments in her family's care are the most overgown on the site. I do not intend to start a fight with her I really can't be bothered and she won't be bullying me 20 years in the fashion industry gives me a huge range of bitchy come backs that I won't be employing, I just needed a rant.
you can see a picture of said apple trees in my gallery. I think you will agree they need a prune. :BangHead:

Nora
Norf London

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: is this the place for a rant?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 13:28:37 »
good grief what is her problem!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

100mph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 13:49:37 »
I tried to find your gallery to look at the pictures of the trees.
I think either I can't work it or actually finding your gallery is a black art shrouded in secrecy and cabalistic mystery. No-where could I find a link to your gallery and the search function sent me round in circles. Actually finding a specific member from the members list was also very problematic for me.
Could you link to the images, please.
Can anyone provide easy to use, idiot-step by idiot-step instructions to viewing a gallery, please - I couldn't do it!
My Suffolk allotment is a fine example of 'how not to do it'.
Muddling through with excessive effort for minimal return from 4 rods since 2008.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 14:13:34 »
Weird... I expected to find a link in the profile or for the search function in galleries to actually work... maybe this is a Firefox thing...

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 14:49:32 »
I am sure there used to be a gallery ink under a users profile but it's not there now. I'll ask see if I can get in touch with Dan to get it put back..

Nora42 - I would be livid if someone had said that to me - I think you did well to bite your tongue!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 14:51:35 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 15:27:59 »
Well done you for being so restrained I'm sure I  wouldn't have been. she was so very rude!

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 15:40:24 »
Well done you.  My bramley had 2 apples this year after being loaded last year.  The rude lady isn't much of a gardener as everyone no's what a bad year it as been for most fruit growers ect.  Just keep an eye on your fruit next year as it would seem she may not be averse to helping herself if you had not been there.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 15:58:10 »
Is no one going to mention this non-lady just walked onto your plot and was going to help herself, she would have left with my boot aiming at her arse if she had talked to me the way she spoke to you Nora and would have reported her for the attempted theft, she obviously helped herself when the other plot holder was alive and probably after she had passed but gives her no right to carry on as she is now and yes it has been a rubbish year for fruit trees as my fellow plot holders have all told me so.     :BangHead:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 16:08:41 »

Ask this friendly person for Rita's address so you can send her the tree surgeon's bill. :glasses9:

Cheers,   Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 16:44:28 »
HI Nora ,that old pregnant dog owes you an apology ,and Cornykev is right a good hard boot to her arse may have made you feel better old cow, its not on that type of carry on don't let it get to you ,and if she ever comes back make sure your whereing the Doc Martin's . :icon_cheers:

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 16:45:06 »
I can't believe she was going to steal your fruit, and then had the cheek to complain to you that there wasn't any!!!

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 16:49:27 »
Don't know how but I seem to have said pregnant dog ,don't no must have somthing to do with that old Rita, I did mean old cow!!!! I can't stop laughing at it :toothy10:

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 17:14:12 »
 Nora, i suggest next time you see her to put her right the apple trees now belong to you.  Tell her not to enter on to your allotment at any time if she argues with you do as Corny says & give her a swift kick up the arse.  How dare she. She would be stealing your fruit i would keep a close eye on her next year nosey mare she is.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 18:01:54 »
Our site has a "no enter anyone else's plot policy"...   she has a d.... cheek just waltzing onto yours.. glad you put her in her place
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 18:45:11 »
Thanks for all your support You have all made me laugh which I think is the best outcome for this sort of thing .went to the allotment today and picked the last of the cookers to process. So she wont have anymore joy this year even if she trys.
sorry you could find my pictures in the gallery I did try to attach one but it didn't work and I couldn't find out how to do it?
Nora
Norf London

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 18:59:22 »
I couldn't get into the gallery either- not sure if it is to do with the up grade?
You were very restrained, I have to bite my tongue because I would probably not stop when I started- would love to hear some of them put downs from the fashion industry! (PM me!!! I bet they are a  right laugh)
to attach pictures  you need to use the Reply button -not the quick link and where it says attachments att he bottom just add each one as you do when you add to an e-mail.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:44:39 by pumpkinlover »

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 19:22:16 »
I can't find a link to the galley either.

I have managed to find it in a roundabout way, so here is a link for you all.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=gallery;sa=myimages;u=14943
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 19:28:37 »
Nowt stranger than allotment folk.   :tongue3:
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 22:13:39 »
Hope you can get this sorted amicably....it must be a real pain!  And it looks to me like a severe pruning is well in order!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 05:39:48 »
Now I see your in Barnet Nora, I'm only a bus ride away if the cavary are needed, but I hope you get it sorted without the DM's.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal