Author Topic: Do you keep up to date with Tetanus immunisation  (Read 6533 times)

CDave

• Quarter Acre
Do you keep up to date with Tetanus immunisation
« on: September 05, 2012, 07:13:45 »
I'm always getting "told" to get myself up to date with tetanus immunisation due to my gardening and allotment activities. To be fair, I've always got a scratch, cut or sore foot after standing on something. What do others do - is it essential or do you not bother? And how would I go about getting my tetanus protection up to date?

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Do you keep up to date with Tetanus immunisation
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 07:50:14 »
No,I dont,but really should so cheers for the reminder. Dont know if you can get one at your GP?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 08:02:22 »
Yes.   Some years ago I cut myself on the allotment.  Rang my GP surgery for advice and was asked to come straight away.   Said better to be safe than sorry they said when I queried the urgency..  So thought it a good idea to keep up. 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 08:14:02 »
Oh yes I do.

I don't bother with other 'needles' that doctor recommend, but Tetanus. I'm in touch with mother earth daily bases so getting infected with some nasty bugs is much greater than with any other things that they try to prevents you catching.
'Funny' thing is that you have to remember to ask you booster..doctor won't mention it, but he does not fail to sell you yearly flue jab, that I think is waste of space....there can't be much 'money' on 'selling' tetanus jabs  ::)

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 08:39:35 »
I asked myself this question a while back, but after reading this page I did not worry about it.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 09:00:39 »
Code: [Select]
And how would I go about getting my tetanus protection up to date?
If you are unsure about your previous injections..and doctor don't have it all in his records..you only need to ask one from your GP and they should give you one if you/he thinks it is in place.
I had my last booster 8 yrs ago..and when I explained to him why I might think I need one he agreed...but then again..I can't say for sure that I had the full 'program' neither so It better to be safe than sorry.

Crispy....thanks for that ..good read!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:45:40 by goodlife »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:27:18 »
Yes, regular as clockwork every 10 years. I get injured too often in the soil to leave it to chance.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 12:46:24 »
I have cats, dogs and a big garden and veggie plots and am generally a mucky pup with assorted scratches, scrapes and grazes, plus I have a husband and daughter to look after so can't afford down time.   I keep my tetanus up to date as you never know what's been lurking in the soil.

If yours is out of date they'll just start you with a fresh one and then you keep it boosted at the recommended intervals.  my doc says 5 years for people like me but longer for less mucky, non gardening people.
Obxx - Vendée France

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 12:51:40 »
I asked my GP for a tetanus jab when I got my allotment (about 10 years ago). He said I didn't need it and would have immunity to tetanus - that once you've had the course of injections as a child that's it. I thought it was a bit odd at the time!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 12:52:35 »
I was told, after being bitted by a dog, that I did not need a booster, because I've had the jab several times and therefore have lifetime protection.  Was my surgery unusual in saying this?  The dog bite happened in my late forties and I haven't bothered to get a booster since.  Maybe I should have insisted?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 13:04:01 »
Code: [Select]
[i]If your wound or injury is considered to be high risk for tetanus (for example, where there has been significant contact with soil or manure) then an injection of human tetanus immunoglobulin is usually given, regardless of whether your have been immunised against tetanus or not. This gives extra protection against tetanus[/i].

Even with booster..I still use gloves all the time when handling soil, compost or manure..you never know what's is in there.  we are supposed to be immunised for a life..above bit still seem to suggest that it maybe good idea to have that extra protection..though after getting wound or injury.. ::)

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 14:31:35 »
I was told may years ago that if you've had X amount in your life, you are covered for life. (I cant remember how many it was but at the time I had had enough)
However.. I was bitten on the back of my calf by a dog in the street and thought I would check it out at the surgery. I was given a further jab, which hurt more than the dog bite!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 17:52:48 »
A couple of years ago whilst pruning a very overgrown blackthorn hedge, a thorn went deep into my knuckle and broke off.  My finger became very swollen and I ended up in hospital as I had to have a ring cut off.  They didn't hesitate in giving me a tetanus jab, I didn't even ask and they didn't ask if I had had one recently.  I think better to be safe than sorry.

I never did have the thorn removed.  I was prepped for surgery but the surgeon decided that the risk to my knuckle whilst he poked around trying to remove it was greater than the damage caused by leaving it in.     :-\

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 08:02:44 »
I asked my dr for my booster the other day, she said they dont do the ten year cycle anymore but give you one if you show up to hospital with an injury.
x sunloving

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 19:51:02 »
Last time I asked, I was told I was covered for life, but it's best to ask if you're not sure. It's a horrible disease.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 21:26:51 »
Tetanus? If in doubt go to the docs and find out!

Several years back I was cleaning out my children's rabbit hutch as they needed a helping hand. The outside edge of the wire door slid in behind my thumb nail. I went straight in, scrubbed it, added antiseptic and a plaster then went out again to finish the rabbit hutch off.

Next I put on gloves and shredded a few bags of garden trimmings.

That night I was woken by a throbbing thumb twice the size it should have been. It was hell.

The following morning - Off to the docs who sent me to A&E at the local hospital. They lanced it without aesthetic. Did I mind as it would hurt? I nearly kissed the nurse when the scalpel went in as the pressure and pain was gone instantly. The thumb deflated... I won't describe the mess.

I had early signs of septicaemia apparently but I couldn't see any white lines going up my arm.

A very hefty injection of penicillin in my rump was followed by daily visits for the thumb to be redressed and a course of antibiotics for a week or more.

I make sure I pester my doctor every now and then about a tetanus jab…… presently well and truly jabbed!

Don't take chances.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 21:28:41 by Aden Roller »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal