Author Topic: leek moth, we are just going into peak damage season  (Read 4703 times)

strawberry1

• Hectare
leek moth, we are just going into peak damage season
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:29:08 »
I am fighting a constant battle against the dreaded leek moth. All leeks are still looking good and under enviromesh but august to october is the worse time for larva activity. I am in somerset and the blighters are spreading. I have got to the stage when I just poke my head and hand under the mesh for weeding, such a pain. I remember when you just made a hole and puddled the leeks in, they were the easiest crop to grow and never needed protection

Be aware and watchful

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: leek moth, we are just going into peak damage season
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:07:39 »
 How you know you have got them?  What do you do when you find them?

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:38:23 »
It's leek rust I have most problems with. The plants grow well until october time but by the winter generally they are all stem and no top!

They are still usable though as it's the stem that is eaten but I always feel they could have done with another month. ;)

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 20:19:45 »
I just dug up all my leeks, luckily they were of a good size but I spotted yet more rust. I decided to dehydrate almost all of them and tbh I am glad I did as there was a bit of a musty smell inside the cage, even though spacing between was good. I will grow them again next year but will plant them early enough to harvest at the same time, avoiding the main flight times of the second and worse batch of leek moth

By the way the dehydrated leeks look and smell great

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 20:36:11 »
How do you dehydrate the leeks.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 20:22:26 »
You do not describe what this looks like.
I have a problem with my leeks. They get to a certain size and then stop growing. The leaves have bits eaten out of them and the white parts have sort of brown bore holes. Is this leek moth ? If so what can I do about this. This is the second season leeks have failed on me.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:49:22 »
You do not describe what this looks like.
I have a problem with my leeks. They get to a certain size and then stop growing. The leaves have bits eaten out of them and the white parts have sort of brown bore holes. Is this leek moth ? If so what can I do about this. This is the second season leeks have failed on me.
This yr I split up the leeks, I was trying to save some from the leek moth which live in between the leaves or flags ,they eat holes and can distroy a fine healthy corp in a week, there is no cure ,but last yr I left my crop after being eaten I was so sick as I lost about a hundred ,well a few Weeks later they began to grow new flags and make a recovery they were fine to eat no trace of the moth, don't dig them out to soon they my suprise you .

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 12:58:59 »
I threw an Ikea net curtain over mine and I am very pleased to say that though other leeks around are looking very sad mine are fine.  I did not know if the mesh was fine enough but so far pleased.

When do the moths stop being a problem?

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:57:42 »
What about growing the leeks under plastic cloches ?

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Leek Moth Time!!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 23:38:00 »
Sorry to bump an old thread, but its that time again!!

I have two half beds or about 36 leeks in each. Planted about 2-3 weeks apart. Earliest planted Jolant, second planted Musselbugh. Jolant therefore ahead of Musselbugh growth wise. Jolant bed hhas clear signs of moth damage, with about a quarter to third of the plants affected. Some plants looking healthy and unaffected. Musselbugh bed looks totally unaffected, in fact rust might be a problem instead.

I often cover my leeks on planting, but after a decent year last year, decided not to bother. I know its too late to cover once the damage has started, but I have now covered the second Musselbugh bed in the hope that it will at least save some leeks from the moth. Out sside chance I know.

I am disappointed and frustrated. I plant the leeks out, get them established they look good then almost overnight they start colapsing and dying. I don'twant to have tto cover half my plot with mesh/fleece but its looking like its that or not grow leeks!!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 13:51:35 »
I've had mine under Enviromesh since I planted them out - must take it off and have a weed, actually. What sort of time of year do the little beggars bog off and let me uncover, I wonder?

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 14:00:27 »
Mine too have been under mesh all season after a disaster with leek moth last year - and I had just uncovered them as I thought the risk of eggs being laid by the moths had gone by (I know that caterpillars can still do damage now if they are on the plants - but I didn't think the moths would be active still.)

Anyhow - this thread has prompted me to cover up again.  Seems better to be safe than sorry!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal