Author Topic: New allotment size advice.  (Read 4890 times)

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
Re: New allotment size advice.
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 21:30:45 »
Are pumpkins farely easy to grow ? im quite inexperienced with many types of veg so dont have a clue, also never eaten them before so would be even more unsure.

Think autumn/winter shall be spent doing prep on the place, kinda envisage splitting it into 4 beds, or as it is 250m2 possibly 8. I like potatoes,so possibly grow a couple of varieties of them and would like to try my hand at sweetcorn.

Fruit sounds a very good option, do you mean trees or bushes ?

then obviously allot part of the plot for a shed/greenhouse/composting/incinerator.

any ideas and advice would be very very welcome.

thanks guys

matt

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 09:10:21 »
Hello Deckchair, I'm trying pumpkins for the first time this year...there is a whole thread in the forum called Pumpkin tastic...I have learnt loads in there, and they are all really friendly....Pumpkins are more grown for size, and Squashes more for eating/cooking...as they are smaller...I have plans to try squashes next year  :D
PS my jack o lantern pumpkin is currently more than 30 inches, so I am very proud of my Jack  ;D
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 13:00:26 »
Got my contract through today..... wow i didn't realise there was so much red-tape around everything, have to get written permission to have a shed, chicken coop, no fences. Though this is probably normal.

On the plus side, I am allowed chickens and could turn the whole plot over to them if I wanted to - 75% of the plot must be cultivated or put into a suitable use (e.g where chickens are permitted).

Getting it all filled in and applying for my permissions now, shed/chickens/greenhouse/bees now so that when/if i do want them i can go ahead and to it without waiting.

Final point, as most of you will know i am very new at this, would anybody be willing to provide me with help on planning my plot, best materials to use, simple veggies to grow etc.. I have tried doing some reading around the kinda things i like the sound of but a lot of it just goes over my head, so feel i would just benefit from someone explaining how to do things if you get me.

Thanks

Matt

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 16:47:28 »
There are quite a number of good plans for allotments.  Have a think about which way the sun is, whether it is windy or sheltered and whether it is well drained or subject to being a bit soggy at times.

For example.  For potatoes if you have well drained soil you want to sow them in trenches so they get as much moisture as possible. If you have a wetter soil then you sow them above the ground and then cover them so they are not sat in wet soil and so might rot.

If your site is very windy then you will need to protect the delicates like courgettes, squashes and sweet corn.  So something tall and weather hardy is needed on the windward side to protect them.  Tall Peas, broadbeans, potatoes can do the job.

Some people grow in rectangular beds.  Some people refer rows of the same crop right across their plot. Some grow in higgledy piggledy plots all over the place.   Some like raised beds.

I would have a look round your allotment site and see which plots you like.   

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 06:21:24 »
I’m a bit late to offer advice - but one thing to consider is. CAN YOU DEAL WITH SO MANY VEGETABLES?
I have 120 square metres allotment and freeze, preserve (soft fruit - jam etc.) eat, give away veg, but we always end with too much. We are two, live in a flat and don’t have much chance to store through the winter. Flat building too warm, shed on plot too cold (I live in Denmark - colder winters!) I keep potatoes in polystyrene boxes in the boot of the car! Chickens sound a good idea if you live close to the plot.  Good luck - I’m sure you’ll enjoy your allotment adventure!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

Uncle Ted

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 17:59:28 »
We used to keep chickens on our 'lotty. Mistake no.1 was thinking 'chicken' wire was suitable for the coop, it wasn't, foxes can tear their way in, and did, we lost 2 chickens, and that was during the day. Then upgraded to weldmesh and it was fine, so, i would go straight for that.

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 08:41:44 »
If I had an allotment plot bigger than I needed, and if it were free from perennial weeds, and I if did not already have a row, then I would be planting a row of raspberries.
One row of healthy raspberries complete with dead leaf mulch is at least two foot wide. add on two feet each side for your path from which you do your picking (must plan for success!) and you have six foot wide by as long as you want.
If you end up with spare raspberries they are quite a valuable barter currency.
That is a very productive use of spare space.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal