Author Topic: Apocalyptic Summer for much of our British Wildlife!  (Read 2107 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
I've just read a terribly sad report (sorry I am computer stupid so can't do a link) but the title used the word apocalyptic & meant it!
Many species of butterfly will die out as they haven't been able to breed. Puffins have had their young drowned in the burrows, up to 90% of the young on one island are dead  :o   And so many other creatures very badly affected by all the rain/cold.
I don't know why it didn't occur to me that this would be happening  ??? I've been so focussed on how badly my allotment is doing & worrying about food prices going sky high for basics like wheat/potatoes that I didn't consider the long term damage to our wildlife  :'(
xJane

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Re: Apocalyptic Summer for much of our British Wildlife!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 17:30:33 »
Forgot to say the report is by the National Trust

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 17:39:28 »
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 17:43:32 »
I read that article earlier today.  Yes it's sad and worrying.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 18:09:31 »
I wonder if there is anything we can do to help local wild life?

xJane   

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 18:49:36 »
Must say it made me glad that I'd decided to let the clover and other wildflowers grow in my lawn this year when they appeared because it had been too wet to cut.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 18:58:15 »
Luckily, mainly for  the RHS in bloom competitions, we've grown lots more wild flower patches this year, they're buzzing with bees most of the time and we've had a few butterflies, even some cabbage whites yesterday. We've made a bug hotel with one of the college groups so, it might help a bit  :-\

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 19:04:47 »
Crystalmoon if you're already doing things like feeding the birds and growing insect friendly flowers then probably not. 
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 10:55:07 »
Hi Flighty, I am so glad I grow huge comfrey & lavendar plants at my allotment as they are the only things that seem to be attracting the bees this year.

There seem to be a lot of black ants hiding in my black plastic raised beds, I am having to move the beds so am unearthing ant nests each time (I've not really had a problem with the ants before). Yesterday a Robin was very bold & literally sat by my elbow as I took the raised beds apart, he had a huge feast of ant eggs.
But he was the only bird I saw on the allotments which is very odd  ???

There is quite a large area on my plot that was supposed to be for Winter Squash plants (which all failed to thrive in pots so I gave up this year).
I had planned to cover in black membrane to keep weeds away but the rain has prevented me from doing this (heavy clay soil that you cant risk standing on when wet or it turns to brick!)
Wild flowers have started to grow (forget-me-nots, poppies etc) I am going to leave them alone & let them grow. I will have to let the Council inspection person know & the old boys at my plot won't be happy as anything that isn't veg is a weed to them  ::)

xJane

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal