Author Topic: Time to close down the allotment due to the weather  (Read 5271 times)

keejaay

• Quarter Acre
Time to close down the allotment due to the weather
« on: July 16, 2012, 13:45:18 »
I and a few others on our allotment in the Caerphilly area [ mid glamorgan south wales ] have had a meeting today and have agreed to call it quits for this summer due to the adverse weather - ground is saturated and unworkable - lets hope august improves so that at least the winter veg will have a chance .  :'(

How many others are in a similar position - even as i type this we are in the grip of another storm - not had a dry day for past month  :( :( :(

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Time to close down the allotment due to the weather
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 13:52:56 »
do you mean you are literally closing the gates ? you have my sympathy if so!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

keejaay

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 13:59:43 »
Apart from dealing with the plants in the Greenhouse's and those with poultry it was agreed that even though we all help one another the ground is too bad to work and all of us have lost most of what we planted -- so yes we may not have locked the gates completely but our summer season has ended . :( :(

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 14:32:20 »
I'm on a slope so we are free draining up to a point..
Actually having a good year for a lot of things but several people on our site have already effectively jacked it in due to lack of available time...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 14:38:46 »
Quite a few plots on our site have been abandoned. Hopefully, they will come back in the autumn, or when - IF - the rain ever clears. But I fear a lot of newbies may have been put off for ever.

I was one of the first round judges for the Borough's allotment competition, and - even among the well-tended plots, all the marks were noticeably lower than previous years. And a couple of the smaller sites seem to have been totally abandoned.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 16:01:32 »
Quite a few plots on our site have been abandoned. Hopefully, they will come back in the autumn, or when - IF - the rain ever clears. But I fear a lot of newbies may have been put off for ever.

I was one of the first round judges for the Borough's allotment competition, and - even among the well-tended plots, all the marks were noticeably lower than previous years. And a couple of the smaller sites seem to have been totally abandoned.

Yes very understandable if plots are not well attended this year

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 16:25:33 »
I can only hope that next year will be better for you.  Many commiserations.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 18:45:41 »
Oh bad luck, but sometimes it's a relief to give up - there's always next year. Makes me appreciate being on a steep hillside now, we're soggy but not flooded.

Time to plan next year and have a rest, keejaay!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 09:26:09 »
The plots this year are not so well tended as usual, mostly because every weekend we have had rain. My plot, although there have been quite a few thing growing, is I admit very overgrown with weeds. But it's almost impossible to keep up, Usually I would send a good half day there each week but it's been, run down, pull out a few things to eat, chop down a few other things, sow a bit then run back because it's starting to pelt down  >:( >:(
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 11:43:29 »
The weekends for me are vital to get most of the things done. If it rains all day everyday the ground is unworkable but the weeds keep growing. Its time for a scythe and not a hoe....
I hope most councils / associations who hold inspections are taking the poor weather into account.

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 20:57:42 »
That's a sad decision, but understandable.
I'm holding out for a super sunny August, followed by a great Sept/Oct!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 22:04:41 »
So sorry to hear about your decision. This has been an awful year. ....and I started the year so well.  Oh well at least when I put in some leeks the holes won't fill up as I try to plant.  The soil is far too wet for that to happen.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 07:47:24 »
I`m in New Trdegar just up the valley from you and my plot is a mess Spuds rotting in the ground Parsnips no sign of the only thing I am harvesting are Broad beans and peas the other stuff is either dead or dying. I did get a bumper crop of rhubarb blackcurrants and goosgogs but thats all.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 09:41:19 »
I only managed to put my potatoes in last week.
I sowed loads of seeds 2 weeks ago and not a sign.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 09:58:45 »
A tough decision to make but I /we all hope an Indian summer might salvage something from what has also been our worst season.
Stay positive though...... ;)....alot of us are in the same boat this term.

GazNjude

MATTOCK MADNESS

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 13:30:14 »
Hi Keejaay I live a few miles up the road Merthyr and its been very bleak as well,l have noticed on our site empty plots which were all being worked last year.Hopefully this weekend and the next few weeks the weather allegedly is going to brighten up a bit so dint get to downhearted keep the faith and have massive crops next year.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 17:47:19 »
My beans are finally showing signs of growth. Last year they were badly knocked back by June frosts and were in an even worse state at this point. They still cropped.

Ru1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 01:17:35 »
I agree that most allotment holders this year have given up totally due to the weather and loss of plants.

Lets hope the newbies don't get disheartened, and give up completely.  Unfortunately, some of the long term allotment holders have given up and handed their keys in.

It's such a shame, as this has been an exceptionally bad year for weather  :o

However, the weather looks like improving next week, with both warmth and sunshine  :D :D

Lets hope it lasts (fingers and everything crossed)  :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal