Author Topic: Bottling cider  (Read 4355 times)

raking

• Not So New ...
Bottling cider
« on: June 04, 2012, 14:08:10 »
I have five demijohns of cider that I made last year and which has been racking off this year. I now want to bottle it but would like to have a bit of a fizz with it.

How much sugar/yeast should I add to each bottle (500ml) and will they automatically go into secondary fermentation if left at room temperature?

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Re: Bottling cider
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 22:13:50 »
Even if it's totally clear then there still might be some viable yeast cells to give you secondary. Wine makers use potassium sorbate before sweetening a clear wine to prevent secondary fermentation.

Just to make sure, it wouldn't do any harm to add a pinch of cider yeast to each demijohn, if it's clear. If it's still cloudy you should be fine not to use any.

Sugar-wise it is 1 LEVEL tsp per bottle. No more. Or make your life easier if you have a barrel and put 100-200g sugar in the barrel, a few pinches of yeast if necessary and add the demijohn contents. Stir gently to mix and bottle.

100g - light fiz. 200g - very lively, chill before serving, and even then expect a little overflow.

Keep it warm (room temp) for 2 weeks and then in the cool until it clears and you are ready to drink it. The cool helps the CO2 to dissolve into the liquid. Open it warm after two weeks and all CO2 will disappear (bitter experience).

Hope this helps and you enjoy your brew - been a long time in the wings. You deserve a medal for keeping cider that long!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 23:23:35 »
I don't think I'd want to bottle something that has been in a demijohn for so long. try have a word with the fella in your local homebrew shop, they know everything.

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 20:38:52 »
I'd drink it. As long as it doesn't taste or smell nasty, what's the harm?

There should be a nice protective layer of CO2 on top of the liquid, preventing spoilage, not to mention the preserving qualities of the alcohol. The only issue I can imagine would be be off-flavours if the brew was left sitting on the lees too long, but when you think that chardonnay wines are deliberately aged on the lees (like most of my country wines are) then I'd say even that's unlikely.

Have a taste and if it's OK get it bottled and get it down you.

Thinking about it, a simple test to see if you have enough viable yeast cells to produce secondary would be to put a splash of cider in a bottle and a pinch of sugar. Stick a bit of cling film over the neck and secure with an elastic band. If there's no positive pressure against the cling film after a few days then assume the original yeast is dead and re-seed with a little fresh stuff.

Also just thinking: a fresh culture might not enjoy a high alcohol environment, so for peace of mind it might be better to let it ferment out in a little apple juice first, just until the foam dies back, then add it to your demijohn. Shouldn't take more than one or two sleeps.

raking

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 14:48:51 »
Well I listened to what was said and did something totally different. I fizzed it in my soda stream and it was brilliant.
Fabulous apple taste, quite potent.
Was really looking forward to repeating the process last Autumn but all my apple trees failed to crop as did many of my friends.
Will try again in September hopefully

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:40:44 »
Glad to hear it went well. I really must get hold of a soda stream sounds way better than priming bottles.

Crap apple here too.

Good luck this autumn.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal