Author Topic: When to plant out Brussels  (Read 1028 times)

ballpointbob

• Not So New ...
When to plant out Brussels
« on: April 18, 2012, 06:23:58 »
Have grown some brussels in a root trainer. They are now about 4" high and looking healthy but floppy. Have been hardening them off in daytime but am uncertain as to when to plant them out as I do not know if they can take frost yet. If they can then it seems a pity to keep them in the pot.

Saw some Cauliflower & Broccoli plants in a garden centre the other day & had the same thoughts.

Anyone have any idea?

pumkinlover

Re: When to plant out Brussels
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:11:06 »
If you have hardened them off they should be ok.

Just re-read your post, and agree with Peanuts, let them get a bit stronger if they are floppy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:39:44 by pumpkinlover »

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:20:14 »
As I understand it, the point of using root-trainers is to  allow a really good root system to develop.  Do you stand the root trainer container on e.g. a couple of flowerpots, to allow air to get all round?  This is supposed to stop the tap root from coming out the bottom.  Instead the  roots start to grow upwards inside, and develop this really good root ball.  It's that that allows the plant to be replanted with no set back at all.  I've certainly found that to be so during the 8 or so years I've been using root-trainers. 
I don't plant out until I've checked what the roots look like.  You can lift out one line of four, lie it on its side, carefully open it and have a look.  if the roots have more or less filled the earth, it is ready. If not, then the earth will fall off when you try to plant it, and it is too early!
Your sprouts sound a little on the small side, at 4 ins, for that to have happened yet.  Be patient!  I rarely plant out my brassicas until end May/June.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:23:18 »
I put mine out over the weekend mainly to take advantage of this wet weather and to save me watering them in this week, so far they look ok and they have had a bit of a frost on them.

ballpointbob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:09:21 »
Yes, thanks to all. I will continue to harden off the sprouts but don't want to keep them in the trainers too long. It says on the seed packet to plant out April/May. I am going away for the 2nd week in May so I think I'll bung them in during the 1st week when they should be quite large. As for the garden centre stuff I'm going to take a punt, buy a tray & plant them out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal