Author Topic: soaking peas before planting?  (Read 17490 times)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: soaking peas before planting?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 22:10:28 »
Guttering is fine for first early peas or a short row.. but when you have 40' of row it's easier to plant direct with the Jeyes, olbas, paraffin etc...

Not disagreeing with you Gavin its everyone to there own way.
I have just planted out my first lot of peas and the guttering has been refilled ready to set my next lot to set away, the only difference i see is that i will have 40 ft of peas growing continuous.
Your method suits you and mine suits me
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 11:38:36 »
I do see your way now if you rotate the gutters and keep sowing every time you empty them...  ;D hadn't thought about it that way..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 16:46:44 »
Early peas in guttering, tall peas in milk cartons  :)

JENIAN

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 17:53:41 »
Start them off in n/paper pots.  Problem solves ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 18:24:46 »
I put plastic bottles over mine.  I did try some without, but they soon disappeared.  Not sure whether it was the deer, the voles, the pheasant or pigeons.......

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 13:45:26 »
I might be able to give you a better answer in a week or so.

I have found that fresh seed can be sown successfully straight in with a good germination percentage.

However a few weeks back I sowed some last year left over seed and got a poor germination rate.

So I chitted some seed and it seemed that about 95% sprouted so I am now waiting to see if the sprouted seed produces more actual plants.

Well the results were better than the non chitted seed but still disappointing as only 58% produced plants so far and I realistically do not expect to improve on that much now.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

JENIAN

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 14:19:53 »
A good remedy for mice is to dip the seeds in paraffin before planting. The mice wont smell them and it does no harm to the seeds..

I have, in the past, soaked my peas in parafin for 24hrs.  This really does no harm to the seeds and deters mice, voles etc.  This year I have purchased a 2"paper pot maker and have had great succsess, putting 2 'Hurst greenshaft' peas into each pot and keeping them moist in G/H.  I have also grown an old vintage pea that grows up a wigwam of canes to 5' high.  My swede & parsnips seeds our having the same treatment ie in pots

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 20:44:18 »
Well, I soaked my peas (Alderman and some snap and mangetouts) to check their viability, put them into gutters when roots showed, planted them out a couple of weeks ago under netting against birds and rabbits.

Today gave them bamboo and string supports, and wrapped fleece around them against wind, birds and rabbits.

I think they look pretty good, no-one here has better ones, and I have high hopes for early crops. [Got to remember to to do successions, though....my big failure in other years]

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 22:30:38 »
I have experimented with both direct sowing and pre-chitting this year (trying to use old seed and be sure it's worth the space). I sowed new seed direct first: a patchy row to say the least, but still crop-worthy. About 10 days later, I pre-chitted old seed (surprisingly high germination rate for the 'vintage'), chitted on a cool windowsill and then just thrown in a trench as soon as they showed signs of life: better 'coverage' for the row and at a similar stage as the direct-sown, despite the 10 day gap.

Buoyed by the success, I pre-chitted some new Alderman seed, (seemed to be not far off 100% germination  :D) then threw then in another trench....I'm fairly confident they'll be up and strong in no time.

Next experiment will be prechitting in light/dark conditions with the same seed at the same time. Perhaps I might have confused the aldermans by allowing too much light then throwing them into the dark?! They were coming up 'green' but they were certainly eager to get on with it!

I shall keep you posted on the outcome for my ickle peas. For me, it's just such a joy to finally have an allotment and be able to grow enough of a crop to finally have some get to the kitchen before being munched!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal