Author Topic: Pretzle Breakfast Rolls  (Read 4150 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Pretzle Breakfast Rolls
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:13:19 »
Being a Pretzle Luvver,I found a recipe that I can make me favourite snax or Brekky Rolls.

Ingredients

500g Strong White Flour
1 1/2 tsps salt
10g Dried Yeast or fresh equivelent
1 tbsp Runny Honey
2 tbsp Melted Butter
150ml water
150ml warm milk

2 pints water
1 tbsp salt
100g Bicarbonate of Soda

Mix the top 7 ingredients together and knead to a soft dough.

let it rest in an oiled bowl for 1 hour.

Form into Rolls/Pretzles and set aside for a further 30 mins.

I make/weigh mine around 140g

form the rolls and place on tray.

mix water/bicarbonate of soda and salt and bring to the boil,once water is boiling remove from heat.

sorry crappy picture......emerse roll dough into hot water for 30/40 seconds(longer will produce a crispier roll)remove with a slotted spoon and return to baking tray.

sprinkle with rock salt and cut across dough if you like,I add caraway seeds to roll tops as well,or you can add caraway to the dough mixture for a different flavour.

leave rolls to cool/dry on rack,MAKE SURE ROLLS ARE DRY.as any wet soda water residue can make bread taste sour.

Tasty Brekky or Brunch rolls....make the most of these scrummy rolls and add some English Ham slices and Stinking Bishop Brie style soft cheese or a nice chunk of Black Bomber Cheddar.

""ere come closer, smell that stinking bishop """  !!!!!!   pheeeeew but so tasty.

Enjoy

Gazza

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
Re: Pretzle Breakfast Rolls
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 11:37:51 »
I presume you bake after the boiling to get that nice brown colour. What temp and how long

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 13:39:42 »
well I have a fan oven and although the recipe asks for 25 mins @ 200 degees,I have found 18 mins @ 180 degrees is adequate.....but like all things baking...trial and error....till you find a suitable temp/time.

Gazza

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 15:10:34 »
Ah - bicarb is the secret ingredient.  Guess bagels are baked that way too?  Rolls flattened, then centre cut out with a glass or a round cutter.

I knew they were boiled and then baked, but haven't been able to find the ingredient that causes the special flavour.  Bicarb.  Thanks Gary!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 15:08:44 »
made a batch of brekky rolls today and enjoyed one with Kippers

Smoked Kippers with sour cream and horseradish sauce.

Grill the kipper and once cooled break off the flesh into a bowl de boning as you go,add 1 tsp sour cream and 1 tsp of Horseradish sauce with cracked pepper and salt.....mash together.

Add some crunch with sliced red onion.

Enjoy  !!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 15:26:42 »
How on earth did I missed this in first time round... :icon_scratch:
I loooooove pretzles..I often buy them freshly baked from lidl..mmmm..salty warm prezle with cup of coffee.
I'm going to have a go making them myself now...if I ever get round to do so from all the seeds... :glasses9:
Never eaten them as 'sarnie' with filling..I usually just munch them as they are and getting my lips 'burned' with the salt..YUM  :drunken_smilie:

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:10:27 »

Trying to please "Tuther  Arf" I made some 50% white and %50 Brown flour Pretzel rolls to day,by way of homage to er indoors I made the Letter J
and when it popped its head out of the oven I could only think of my neighbours dogs doooins,larfed me wotsits off,and sent the piccy to her at work
the reply was a cross tween "Oh lovely gaz",and "do we still have a cats litter tray",.....cheeky mare..!!!!!!!!!!
For that I will now serve it to her buttered !!!!!!!!!

that aside the rolls are very crispy,and the brown bread flour does add its own flavour to the Pretzel taste as does the salty studs.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 13:37:20 »
It does look like there is something on the chopping board that shouldn't be there.... :laughing7:

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 15:54:31 »
It does look like there is something on the chopping board that shouldn't be there.... :laughing7:

:toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 14:05:10 »

It was fun to make some Pretzel Rolls again and use the new oven.

Had a chuckle watching them colour up nicely through the glass door.

They were bluddy delish and fed Jude for 3  days at work.

Heres to the next batch.!!!!!!!

Gazza

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 10:05:01 »
They look stunning  :drunken_smilie:
Happy new oven to you  :icon_cheers:
Is it gas or lecky?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 23:46:02 »
Jude and I have had Lecky for 30 years so treated ourselves to a Neff Lecky with the hide away door so we don't bump into it...
....Nice bit of kit,and so far had fun learning to use it,got the matching Neff Hob with the Flexi zones on it to have multiple
rings on ...its been brilliant fun using the wrought Iron Sizzle plata on it so you can cook your veggies then add bits of chicken
and prawns ,,,,bloody good bringing the Plata to the table on a wooden plinth with everything still sizzling away....

.....good fun this cooking lark  !!!!!!!!!!!! :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal