Author Topic: Opinion on weed roots  (Read 4901 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Opinion on weed roots
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 09:54:51 »
What about docks!?! They are my worst weed, and they seed so quickly (and not just from my own plots....they are all over the place). Their roots go down to the antipodes.

But I agree with everyone else that over the years the weeds become weaker and the main thing is to remain persistent and optimistic.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 10:48:35 »
Dock, nettles and brambles are a menance but for me public enemy no 1 is the bindweed. 

If you do not know what it looks like are you sure you have it?  The flowers are lovely.  But the roots are a real menance.

If you dig a hole and dig up networks of smooth white roots then you have bindweed.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 17:31:02 »
Dig out what you can, and if the root goes down too far, just keep bashing it every time it surfaces. When I was in Cornwall, we had a septic tank put in. The hole was eight feet deep, and the dandelions were still going strong at the bottom. Some of them will go right down to the water table, and if that's yards down - as it was on that site - then the roots go down yards as well.

MattD

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 19:02:04 »
Fighting weeds can become a bit of an obsession.  Remember, they aren't alien life forms - like nearly all plants they need leaves and light to thrive, they're just rather better at getting going in cold weather than most veg.    And also, having a few around is unlikely to cause major damage to your crops, although it might hurt your self-esteem.  I agree with the 'clear and defend' policy advocated by others.  Get a patch reasonably clear and planted up with veg, keep the weeds down there and  then move on to clear the next bit.

With brambles, try to get out the massive lump at the centre, and as many roots as come with it - usually they're in the place where several pink shoots come up in one place.   I used a grubbing mattock for this when clearing my plot.  The side roots will shoot, but if you keep taking the top off, or digging them out when they pop up, eventually you will get on top of them.   

As you work the soil, the bindweed will eventually give up (it likes to be left alone).  Couch grass will also give up if you keep taking the top off and as many roots out as you can grab.  Once the top layer is loose, the weeds come up easier and you will hopefully pull up a bit of root each time you tackle them.

With the dandelions, dock etc my approach is generally to stop them seeding above all else, but even that can be futle if a neighbour doesn't do anything - the wind spreads the joy.

Matt

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:16 »
With the dandelions, dock etc my approach is generally to stop them seeding above all else, but even that can be futle if a neighbour doesn't do anything - the wind spreads the joy.

Matt

Yes.....the plot next to me (on the side the wind blows from unfortunately) has been badly neglected for several years. I didn't have any docks but there were lot's on that plot now I have lots to get rid of now.  >:(

I love digging

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 00:06:50 »
Don't forget you can get blackberries from the brambles!

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 09:54:57 »
Don't forget you can get blackberries from the brambles!

We could have done - but they were everywhere and to be honest I don't really like them.  Also just outside our house we have a footpath with brambles all along in and all the blackberries one could ever need :)
2015 - New plot. Let's go!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal