Author Topic: Pruning tayberries and gooseberries  (Read 1692 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Pruning tayberries and gooseberries
« on: February 24, 2012, 21:20:33 »
I have not done either of these yet.  Is it too late?
I live in South London/Kent.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Pruning tayberries and gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:08:42 »
Not sure about Tayberries... as I haven't got one..
With the gooseberries as long as the leaves haven't started to unfold I would still prune... am intending to do some this weekend when I cut the Autumn Rasps back..  :)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 18:44:45 »
Tayberries are pruned by cutting out the fruited wood ONLY!!! which you can still do. It fruits on the shoots that grew last year so do not prune them or you will get no fruit.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 18:48:59 »
I did my 3 young gooseberries in autumn. The legs were far too short so they are now a good 6-8 inches and I have pruned to try and get a good `bowl` shape. It is very early days though and I pruned so hard that I am not expecting any fruit yet. They have only been in a year and I waited for the roots to get a bit established

Are tayberries like blackberries? If so, my two grow on wires and I tie in all new shoots to make a zig zag shape on either side of centre. New shoots will be trained to left and right along the top wire. Old fruited shoots will be cut off next autumn and the horizontal shoots will then be zig zagged

I would do it now if not done

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal