Author Topic: making wine without a demijohn  (Read 8141 times)

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
making wine without a demijohn
« on: February 17, 2005, 10:17:59 »
Can I make a few basic, non complicated wines in a bucket? A new, clean one of course? Has anyone any recipes I could use???
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re: making wine without a demijohn
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 12:04:49 »
Not really, you can start them off in a bucket but after that you need something airtight with an airlock to keep the bugs and air out. Think what an open bottle of wine is like after a few days.

If you really can't afford a demi-john + airlock (DJ a quid from a charity shop) then you could use something like a big. empty, plastic PET bottle (coke, beer, lemonade -whatever). Start the stuff off in your bucket -once it's more or less finished fermenting strain it off into your bottle(s) -put a balloon over the end until you stop seeing bubbles- then screw the cap on tight. If the bottle gets hard then let some pressure out.

Just remeber everything, incuding your bucket (should be food grade, or at least white/clear), needs to be sterile before you put the wine in, either boil it or bleach it (but rinse well afterwards and don't use 'pine-fresh' &c.).

As for recipes, what can you get cheaply (I assume that's your aim ;D)?

Try this site for recipes and instructions.

http://www.glaurung.demon.co.uk/wine/

Jeremy

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 11:05:56 »
You don't need anything fancy, just a clear polythene bag that is slightly larger than the bucket.

Put this in the bucket, fill with the must and then close with an elastic band wrapped several times round the neck; squeeze the air out and you have an air lock, as the CO2 is produced the bag fills up and it then forces its way out - air can't get back in. It's done when no more bubbles come form the must - I made many a gallon of wine like this

What recipe? - any!!

Phil
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 11:08:37 by philcooper »

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 20:39:56 »
Thats a kewl idea i ask my dad to do it,

What is the easiest to make, wine wise, or can i do any.

Have you got any recipes i could have to start off with?

Dannylewis
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 20:58:18 »
Danny,

I started as a lad using the method and a recipe book that my Mum got from the local WI.

I just followed the recipe - but none of these fancy new additives just the veg/fruit with water, sugar (sometimes sultanas) and yeast.

Recipes - there's some on this part of the board and the ones at http://www.red4.co.uk/Recipes/drinks.htm seem to pass the "no additives test"

Phil

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 15:36:49 »
If your passing Falkirk I'll give you a DJ - got 14 for free and the most I've ever used at the one time is 5...  Made 36 bottled of Barolo from a kit ( :o) tasted brill after 3 months...

;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal