Author Topic: Which multi-purpose compost to buy?  (Read 8398 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Which multi-purpose compost to buy?
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:13:43 »
The last couple of years I’ve been buying B&Q’s multipurpose compost, but it wasn’t very good last year. I’ve only bought one of their bags so far this year and it doesn’t seem any better. Asda’s I didn’t find any good. I’d be interested if anyone has found a good multipurpose recently, not too pricey?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: Which multi-purpose compost to buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:32:15 »
Westlands Multi has never let me down so far JayB.
Also, Which? magazine does annual trials of compost. I don't have a subscription unfortunately, but I'll bet someone here does. :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:41:39 »
westlands MP for me too,folk on our plot say you dont even need to sieve it (but I do)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:58:24 »
I bought Wickes MP last year: it was OK and a good price too - 4 x 75l bags for £12.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 13:06:45 »
I think Grannyjanny also mentioned Westlands to me a while back.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 13:37:37 »
I am using B@Q multipurpose this year and it definitely needs to be riddled.Yesterday I found a 2 inch screw in mine.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 14:49:39 »
Wickes MP has been ok for me too and from our lottie shop I get Clover or Mother Earth MP.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 15:18:06 »
Jayb it was clover that I liked. I haven't tried westland. I'm getting the clover delivered for several people. I still have some from last year but it was a 25 mile round trip to get it. That was after trying Which best buy from B&Q & Erin ::).

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 16:19:45 »
Ooops sorry GJ, I got a bit confused with the names!
Thanks all for the recomendatiuons, I'll try and find the ones mentioned and do a compare  :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 16:39:37 »
Used 3 for 2 offer Westland peat free last year until I ran out, then used a few bags of Lidl peat free. 

Westland came recommended and was ok, Lidl was also ok.  Both had some woody bits in which had to be removed though  :(  I also found a bit of glass, which was bad, but I can't remember which one that was in.

B and Q the year before was really grim and the plants didn't do well.  Not sure whether I got an old couple of bags and whether they have improved, but i wouldn't buy their peat free again.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 16:43:36 »
I've been very pleased with Clover in the past.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 16:45:34 »
We sell Kieth Singletons in our lottie shop and loads of it too.  one of the best around.  One bloke comes from outside the area and buys around 30 bags each spring. Many allotmenteers on our site and people from around the town don't buy anything else.  
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 00:52:55 »
Used B+Q last year and have a bag I got a month ago for this year, but I'm also trying Lidl's seed adn cutting compost for sowing ... it looks OK at first sight plus it is a quid for a 20 litre bag.... I got 10 bags, so 200 litres for a tenner but more importantly, I'll only have a 20 litre bag to move at any given time, not the 120 litre monster that the B+Q comes in....

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 13:30:33 »
I always think about some years ago when I went ot a talk at a local garden centre about growing in containers. The chap said he always liked to use so and so compost because it had extra sand in it but when he opened that particular bag he said " I think they missed out with this bag" all makes vary bag to bag and I think it is the way we use it more than what is in it. What suits one person does not suit another.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 14:12:44 »
Ok, westlands seems to be the way ahead then.

But can I just ask, I have been having trouble with my house plants over the past year or so, like never b4.
I haven't even managed to get 1 of my many amaryllis to flower or even grow properly this year. I am blaming it on the lidl (cheap) compost, twigs etc in it.
Lots of my other plants have been dying off too.

Do you think westlands on will be good for indoors as well?

I have been giving my amaryllis tomato food as in other years, although its been a diff brand (doff this year and westlands last year) and I don't know if that has anything to do with it also. Would be gratful for someone to point out a good plant food for me. I cant remember what I used before that when I didn't have any trouble getting them to flower.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 14:19:51 »
Every plant I have is fed with liquid seaweed & they all seem to thrive on it.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 15:27:24 »
Jess you could try repotting using John Innes no 2 or no 3 rather than MP compost for your indoor bulbs and houseplants.

I don't know if it will make a difference but it is worth a go.  Potted plants have very little medium in which to root so I'd buy the best for them (within reason). 

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 11:45:47 »
When my nearest garden centre stopped stocking Westland composts I drove further to get it after finding the other brand they sell to be full of rubbish. However they obviously had lots of complaints because they stock westlands again.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 13:50:22 »
thanks for info peeps.
I am gonna try the JI No2, and when I googled the seaweed extract I found the levingtons tomato feed. I reconised the bottle, this is the one I used b4 when I had no bother with getting my amaryllis to grow.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal