Author Topic: Clear polythene sheet  (Read 5215 times)

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
Clear polythene sheet
« on: February 20, 2012, 14:50:44 »
I've just found this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLYTHENE-SHEETING-ROLL-4mtrs-x-25mtr-CLEAR-230-gauge-/320657259718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aa8a97cc6

Now whilst there is a warning on the ad for gardeners with ref to it not being suitable for polytunnels, I wonder if it would be good enough for what I require.

I'll be making some wooden frameworks then covering it in polythene to help ripen my butternut squash crop this year, like these

Which I found at this link http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_squash_butternut.html

Because I am out in rural Cumbria there is no local business that stocks polythene so I can compare the stated thickness, so can anyone advise me at all?

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright ©Steve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

mentallot

• Half Acre
Re: Clear polythene sheet
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 15:05:58 »
Can't help with that product, but I bought rolls from Wickes to make a poly covered wooden greenhouse last year and it seemed to take the strain ok. If you've a Wickes nearby check out the thickness
Good luck :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 16:44:47 »
Steve why don't you give allaboutliverpool a pm, you'll find him on page 6 of the members page.   ::)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 16:59:36 »
Looking at 30 micron polythene products on the web, it seems to be about the thickness of a carrier bag - the phrase "light duty" seems to figure a lot in descriptions.

But the price makes it look soooooo tempting ....

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 17:12:59 »
Just checked - standard polytunnel polythene is 720 gauge / 180 microns - x6 thicker.

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 17:18:49 »
Thanks Derek, we are off to Carlisle tomorrow morning so I'll pop into wickes for a peek, and pick up some compost too.

Kev..thanks for that, I did not know he was a member here. I did email him via his site a couple of weeks ago but I have had no reply.

Thanks Ellen, it sounds like it will be too thin I think.

"The Nook"

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 19:15:29 »
I would like to get a sample of this material: Monarflex - to test its suitability as polytunnel making material.

It's not cheap but it seems pretty indistructable.   Half of the benefit of a cloche comes as shelter and it should provide that from what I have read.  And even proper polytunnel plastic doesn't last that long.

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 11:41:21 »
I have found this Premier Polytunnels | Cloche Film - 480 gauge - Buy by the Metre at Premier Polytunnels that might be worth considering. I've phoned them and they are sending a brochure/pricelist and a few samples too. A little more expenxive than the stuff in the first posting.

"The Nook"

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:38:39 »
I have found this Premier Polytunnels | Cloche Film - 480 gauge - Buy by the Metre at Premier Polytunnels that might be worth considering. I've phoned them and they are sending a brochure/pricelist and a few samples too. A little more expenxive than the stuff in the first posting.

Broken link.... there's an extra http in there...

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 09:30:00 »
"The Nook"

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 05:09:49 »
have you tryed allplas.co.uk.they do a1000 gauge.clear poly. that will last years
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal