Author Topic: An Experiment with Fig Tree Prunings  (Read 4528 times)

green lily

• Hectare
Re: An Experiment with Fig Tree Prunings
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 17:09:17 »
They're pretty hardy but if its very young remember to throw some fleece over it if the temp. gets below freezing in your greenhouse. 
Remember small pots get cold quicker than big ones. I'd just pot it up into one size bigger pot if you can see roots coming out the bottom and keep in greenhouse over winter then harden it off in spring like any other plant and let it spend summer in the warmest place you've got. Put back in the greenhouse next winter if it looks a bit too nippy but 0--4/5 isn't much of a problem. Late May frost nipped mine's leaves last year :( but it still fruited ok.

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 23:33:41 »
Thanks Grannie Annie &  Green Lily
Fig potted up into one of morrisons black pots and tucked up in front bedroom along with all seedlings ect will pop it into greenhouse when roots start to take I think. Love figs don't want to kill it off too soon. ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 09:29:56 »
Thanks Grannie Annie &  Green Lily
Fig potted up into one of morrisons black pots and tucked up in front bedroom along with all seedlings ect will pop it into greenhouse when roots start to take I think. Love figs don't want to kill it off too soon. ::)
what kind of fig did you buy?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 21:59:29 »
 ;DEver bought something to make or cook you have always wanted? And finally you buy one. When you come to put it together or bake I'n your eagerness you realise whoops where did the packaging go? Well same thing with the fig Grannie Annie wrapping went straight I'n the dustbin without reading. And it got emptied same day " what fig did I buy?" ??? ???

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 02:07:46 »
;DEver bought something to make or cook you have always wanted? And finally you buy one. When you come to put it together or bake I'n your eagerness you realise whoops where did the packaging go? Well same thing with the fig Grannie Annie wrapping went straight I'n the dustbin without reading. And it got emptied same day " what fig did I buy?" ??? ???
Maybe the store only carries one type of fig. Sometimes the leaves look different on different varieties, too. You might be able to narrow it down if they only carry a few varieties.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 14:03:11 »
UPDATE:

It is about 3 weeks after the fig twigs were placed in water and some now have definite roots shooting out from
the MIDDLE of the stem. Why not from the bottom? I have no idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal