Author Topic: Penny Rush !  (Read 1970 times)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Penny Rush !
« on: February 15, 2012, 13:44:47 »
who remembers the " penny rush " sat morn at the local cinema back in the 40s FLASH GORDEN, SUPERMAN  tell us abought your sat mornings at the FLICKS or flea pit as ours was known.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Penny Rush !
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 14:51:15 »
I only went once,my father did not really seem to care about me, so it came as a lovely surprise when he gave me a tanner to go to the saturday morning flicks. I hummed all the way there, my daddy loves me, my daddy loves me.

When I got home after the flicks, I found they had moved house.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 18:24:55 »
bump

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 19:49:24 »
It was called the ABC Minors where I lived and I used to go most Sat. mornings.   What a noise we all made and I remember handing over jam jars for sweeties.  Flash gordon was a favourite, Lassie and Zoro.  There was a song we all sang as well before the films started.   Happy Days.

;D

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 20:13:30 »
I can remember watching Flash Gordon on Sat.mornings - strange guys they went everywhere in twos & wore skirts Hmmm!

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 20:24:42 »
Did Mum and Dads want us out of the house for any other reason ::) :.And why were they always in bed when me and my sister got home from sunday school :P ;D
m j gravell

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 20:48:20 »
Not sure about Saturday mornings, but I know what you mean about Sunday school !!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 21:45:24 »
It was called the ABC Minors where I lived and I used to go most Sat. mornings.   What a noise we all made and I remember handing over jam jars for sweeties.  Flash gordon was a favourite, Lassie and Zoro.  There was a song we all sang as well before the films started.   Happy Days.

;D

We are the boys and girls well known as
the minors of the ABC
and every Saturday al line up
to see the films we like
and SHOUT aloud with glee
we like to laugh and have our singsong
a happy crowd are we-ee
we're all pals together
the minors of the ABC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzWjw7AO_Xo

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 22:06:04 »
 I wasn't allowed to go,not considered "nice" in my house, but I snuck in now and again, I just remember it was loud and the boys pulled my long ringlets.

We have the full series of the Old Flash Gordon though, it is pricless watching them fight in their knickers, the blond was the good girl with soft boobs and the baddie had dark hair and looked like she had oil cans stuck in her bra.

Saturday mornings was sleep in day or my parents..I used to get a Saturday bag, kind of like a  Christmas Stocking but a bag, had sweets, fruit, a comic, drink  little game, usually one of those things that you have to get a ball bearing in a hole..I guess it just delayed me long enough.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 18:28:35 »
Mine was back in the 60s - we'd get cartoons (often woody woodpecker), the three stooges, a serial, often a CFF film (SWALK anyone) and some sort of action film- roman/greek/western

If I recall Mum used to give me a shilling which paid to get in and bought a Hot Dog

If I had money left over a pennyworth of scraps from the chips shop or a potato fritter.

Loved it - proper old 30s Odeon with upstairs circle and a stage in front of the screen and we spent the whole morning there

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal