Author Topic: Red Squirrels  (Read 2850 times)

Rallychef

• Not So New ...
  • Greystoke, Cumbria
Red Squirrels
« on: January 12, 2012, 18:04:10 »
Hi from a newbie,

Where we live (Greystoke, Cumbria)  we are lucky enough still to have Red Squirrels, we have a couple of feeding stations in a large cherry tree at the bottom of the garden.  It doesn’t matter how many times you see them you cannot help stop what you are doing to watch them.
 We probably have about a dozen regular visitors passing through over the course of a week.

Hope you enjoy the pics
Regards Ian D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Red Squirrels
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 18:29:09 »
Only greys around here, although i have noticed over the years that they are getting more tinges of red in their tails.  ???   :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

THE DOG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 18:48:46 »
Well i certainly enjoyed the pics, unforunatly we only have the d**n greys here also (still plenty of free lurcher food :-X).

Thanks for the share ATB D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:07:35 »
Beautiful pictures, lovely to hear you have so many as regular visitors  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:18:13 »
Lovely pics!

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:30:49 »
Fantastic photo's, lovely  :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 08:49:47 »
Thanks for sharing the lovely pics with us.We have grey ones in the garden that come everyday for their share of the bird food. We also  have them at the allotment.The only time I got cross with them was when they ate my uncovered sweetcorn. Don't grow it now so they are not a problem.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:25:32 »
When I spent some time with my cousin in Toronto I noticed that her garden squirrels were black. Are there black squirrels in the uk?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Rallychef

• Not So New ...
  • Greystoke, Cumbria
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 10:36:58 »
thanks for all the replies folks, glad you enjoyed the pics.

shirlton....our allotment is the other side of the village, well away From the woods, so the squirrels are not a problem.  However the little beggars do dig up some bulbs in the house garden. The last lot of Daffs we planted, we soaked in cheap tonic water for about 30 mins (apparently they do not like the quinine), then grated some soap on top.  Seems to have worked, didn't find any dug up and they are all starting to come through.

Duke....I think the some southern parts of England have the black squirrels, a programme on TV last week was showing them, a genetic variation on the greys I think (but don't quote me on that0

regards Ian D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 10:58:44 »
Yes we have black squirrels here in St Ives, Cambridgeshire.....just a variant of the grey. When on holiday in Cumbria we have a special spot where we go to photograph, film and watch the Red Squirrels. In my personal opinion everything should be done to get rid of the greys (and blacks).

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 20:33:09 »
Love pics, enjoyed those :) Thanks for sharing. I've only ever seen a red squirrel once - when I was holidaying on the Isle of Wight!

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 10:52:05 »
yes lovely pics.  I'v visited Brownsea Island and the Isle of Wight and missed seeing one although many of the others on the trips did.
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 10:00:32 »
We only seem to have red squirrels here - I often see them around our way, there is one cheeky one that runs from the park next door under our hedges, scavenging, mostly for the bread that is thrown out of windows for the birds!!  He's beautiful and ever so fast. We don't have them in Australia and I love to see them with their fluffy tails.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 13:31:52 »
You're very lucky Rallychef to have the fabulous reds as garden visitors, I have only seen them when I was in Germany. That was a real treat, their favourite tree was very close to the house. So we got a great close up view as they clambered along the branches!

Thanks for posting your great pics  ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 21:26:36 »
You're very lucky Rallychef to have the fabulous reds as garden visitors, I have only seen them when I was in Germany. That was a real treat, their favourite tree was very close to the house. So we got a great close up view as they clambered along the branches!

Thanks for posting your great pics  ;D

That's the only place I've seen them in the wild - in the Englischer(sp) Gardens in Munich. Saw a black one first and then the grey. Unlike what others have said the plack looked be similar to the red apart from colour, even had the tufts.

Wish we had the reds here in basingstoke but the only ones I've seen was in the museum when I was growing up in Farnham and that was a hideous Victorian scened of stuffed ones playing cards.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal