Author Topic: Ponds and cats  (Read 6925 times)

Poolcue

• Half Acre
Ponds and cats
« on: February 12, 2012, 13:13:57 »
Found my cat on my frozen pond this morning before I broke the ice.
Should I be worried?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Ponds and cats
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:34:17 »
No.  Mine often goes and sits and has a wash on the pond when it's frozen and the dog is happy to stroll and slide on it too.   

Once it thaws, it is a good idea to make sure there's a shallow shelf the cat can swim too for an exit if it does fall in.  When we lived in Harrow and had a formal pond I had 3 cats go for an unplanned swim.............   One was basking in warm susnhine and rolled and stretched and flopped off the edge.  The other pair were kittens chasing bees and butterflies across the lawn and not looking where they were going.  Splat! 
Obxx - Vendée France

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:22:22 »
Generally no worries..but..It would be good idea to leave something like plank of wood what you cat could grip onto if accident should happen...and their claws can rip pond liner in pieces if struggling to get out of water.
My previous dog..being elderly and half blind did mis 'calculate' where to 'park' her bum..and she reversed over the edge and dropped into pond..cold water, old dog that is not very clever with walking anymore, poor eye sight and not even a barker is not good combination..luckily I did notice it in time and got to rescue one very wet, dirty and cold old girl.

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:20:36 »
Maybe not the right thread but my old senile dog just walked off the edge into my pond and broke the net.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 16:20:46 »
Oh dear.  I hope you resisted laughing in front of him.  Poor thing.  The water must be really cold right now.
Obxx - Vendée France

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 16:56:13 »
My pondliner is shredded at one side (down the lottie) I think it was a fox who fell in and had to srabble out!    >:(
Grow yer bugger grow!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:30:39 »
Putting a ramp or something in the pond as an escape route is a good idea for hedgehogs too. They can swim well, but not forever...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal