Author Topic: Bob Flowerdew on green manure  (Read 7201 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Bob Flowerdew on green manure
« on: January 15, 2012, 14:47:31 »
Just heard a discussion on green manures on GQT. Bob Flowerdew said a lot of the seeds sold as green manure (tares & vetches, rye grass etc) are fine for farmers but tend to re-grow after digging-in. He suggested claytonia (miner's lettuce), Valerianella (corn salad) and Limnanthes (poached egg plant) as easier to use - and the first two are edible!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Bob Flowerdew on green manure
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 16:45:41 »
I heard that too.  He's been saying this for several years, and like pretty much everything else he says, I would agree.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 16:46:39 »
Poached egg plants.........great for attracting pollinators, but lordy, do they self seed EVERYWHERE! Beware! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 17:46:40 »
Claytonia will self seed... I turned a raised bed where I grew it at least five years ago and have a nice winter salad coming on...  :)

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 17:53:45 »
Green manures shouldn't be allowed to set seed.

Poached egg plants.........great for attracting pollinators, but lordy, do they self seed EVERYWHERE! Beware! ;D

Try Nasturtions, even the variagated ones are now everywhere. Only 10 seeds to start with!
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 17:55:54 »
Try stopping them....  :-X

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 18:24:21 »
I use a lot of green manure.  Well drained soil is prone to leeching.  Personally never had problems with green manure regrowing.  I just turn it over and under with no green showing.   

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 19:21:23 »
Rye grass you don't want to use, but rye is brilliant, just strim it down, if a bit regrows then just give it another strim or dig it in.
I should think vetch is easy enough to kill, well I will find out soon, nearly half my plot is covered in a rye/vetch mix.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 20:17:42 »
I've grown vetch as a green manure. Unfortunately it was all eaten by rabbits ::)  Might give the claytonia ago as the bunnies don't seem to touch it.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 20:37:50 »
That's useful to know, lillian- thanks.

gerkin

• Quarter Acre
upminster essex ,come on you irons

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:07 »
He also suggested chickweed  :o....I think I will stick to buckwheat.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 11:35:21 »
Just heard a discussion on green manures on GQT. Bob Flowerdew said a lot of the seeds sold as green manure (tares & vetches, rye grass etc) are fine for farmers but tend to re-grow after digging-in. He suggested claytonia (miner's lettuce), Valerianella (corn salad) and Limnanthes (poached egg plant) as easier to use - and the first two are edible!

I grow these as green manure and the first two as winter salad.I think they are relatively smaller plants - or at least with smaller root systems than some of the others. I also grow phacelia and let it self-seed at will removing it when it gets in the way! I've never had a problem with tares or vetches. I do find the Hungarian grazing rye a bit harder to get rid of, but it's also quite pretty!

flattyre

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 20:18:25 »
If you wait until the 'flower' is just opening on the grazing rye and then mow it , the plant will not regrow when dug in. This can be later than you thought you might do the job.
More information can be found via Go Organic....

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 20:48:23 »
If you wait until the 'flower' is just opening on the grazing rye and then mow it , the plant will not regrow when dug in. This can be later than you thought you might do the job.
More information can be found via Go Organic....
I read that, cut it down just before it flowers, but it's a type of grass, what on earth can the mean 'when it flowers'.
If you wait for the heads to start forming, by then it is 5ft tall!
I cut it down when it is about knee high.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

flattyre

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 21:07:46 »
well that's why I used inverted commas -grasses are wind pollinated - and I'm sure you've seen the 'flowers' you tease!! ;D Anyway, the fact these things all get so big is precisely why Ol' Flowerdew was suggesting all that other stuff...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal