Author Topic: Aids to open jars  (Read 11788 times)

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
Aids to open jars
« on: January 10, 2012, 21:20:07 »
Not quite a gardening topic but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

I've realised I can no longer unscrew jar lids from shop-bought pickles, jams etc and now just routinely hand them over to my other half (who is also showing signs of struggling where once it was a quick wrist flick). But of course have wondered what I'd do on the day he's not here and I desperately need a new jar of gherkins!

I've tried turning jars upside down and placing lids in a couple of mil of boiling water so they expand and make opening easier but of course this route takes time and doesn't meet my need for now!

Wondered which gadgets other forumites use to open jars. Seen simple plastic grippy circles and more expensive things and wondered which actually work.

Thanks!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Aids to open jars
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 21:25:03 »
In the short term use the door... hinge side to hold the lid tight... and turn...  :-X

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 21:33:01 »
Ray bought me some grippy things, rubber inside so it grips easily.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 22:07:56 »
I've got one of these
http://www.welcomemobility.co.uk/Products/Universal-Opener__KK_T7206.aspx
(hope the link works!) had it for donkeys years, and for ring pulls like on sardine tins the simple blue Lakeland opener is absolute magic. In the short term though, wearing rubber gloves will give you a bit more grip.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 22:11:53 »
Betterwear do a opening aid which fits over the top of jars,etc. Very useful if you can't grip.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 22:12:38 »
The best one we've got is similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Jar-Opener/dp/B00004OCIV/ref=pd_sim_kh_34

Works quickly, opens almost any jar, but a bit of effort is still required.  It's the one I reach for first.

If I was buying one right now, I'd be seriously tempted by this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Touch-Automatic-Opener-White/dp/B003IHUH8M/ref=dp_cp_ob_kh_title_1

But then I just love gadgets

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 22:39:28 »
I use a jarkey, very basic but does the job by breaking the vacuum which is often the problem....

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/7706/Jarkey

I have had one for years :)

T.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:31:26 »
I also have a jar key ....it's brilliant. ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 22:40:56 »
Hello PG, take a look in Top Tips, there's a thread there "how to open bottles and jars" or something similar. Sorry can't provide the link but you'll see it. Might be some more suggestions there for you = Lishka

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 21:28:16 »
Hi PG I can't open anything or even work my secateurs with one hand.. The cuisenaire opener is brilliant. One of my girls bought me one 2-3 years ago. I use it on all sorts of jars -it works every time. The battery hasn't run out yet and I haven't needed to find out what sort it needs. Get one -you won't regret it. I use a sort of nut crusher from France for bottles as its handles act like levers. Life is too short [and painful] to get held up by jars and bottles! ::)

Ophi

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 19:53:21 »
I have always used the door or if the lid is too big then I let the air in with a bottle opener.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 20:58:53 »
I also use the door, but OH found the marks when he was painting, but I just don't know how they got there.  ;D ;D ;D

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 08:19:39 »
Before I start with my rubber daisy top remover, I put the jar/bottle upside down in a plastic container and pour about an inch of very hot water in. This loosens any crusty or sugary residue around the seal and makes removing tops and lids easier.
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 20:31:44 »
Melbourne12 and Green Lily thanks for this. Very very timely...looking at something to do this for my daughter. She now has one functioning arm, so other aids haven't worked. This Cuisinare looks great.

There's another one on here we have been looking to try. Useful wee pdf.
https://www.rnoh.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/a_patients_guide_for_completing_activities_of_daily_living_with_one_hand.doc
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 20:45:12 »
I still junk them in a bowl of boiling water or simply poor boiling water over the top of the jar.

Its liquid washing detergent that I find a problem.  And the back of phones.  How are you supposed to get the sim card in if you cannot open the back up.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 20:54:12 »
I've never found anything better than these old fashioned ones that come in two pieces, clamp down on the jar and then provide a nice long lever to get them open.  I don't think anyone still makes them - but they turn up in charity shops sometimes:

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/vintage-swing-a-way-jar-opener/151842724600/

I use two hands but for all except the tightest lids I imagine they would work fine if the jar was supported between the legs or under the arm.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 18:38:15 »
Rubber gloves work well for me......I once wrote to the makers of Branston pickle as I sprained my wrist trying to open one of their pickle jars, it was ridiculously jammed on, how someone with arthritis would have managed I have no idea....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal