Author Topic: Poor Charlie  (Read 9351 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Poor Charlie
« on: December 28, 2011, 19:52:17 »
Charlie has gone blind, we think, well the vet said.  He has done a poo, on my jigsaw puzzle box, luckily from the charity shop so in the bin, then behind the Xmas tree (well he probably thought he was in the garden), and today on OH's laptop computer.  I have put a litter tray in the kitchen, and he is shut in the kitchen when I go out with the cat flap open, so he can go out, but can't get in, because Dulce will come in. Just paid £500 + for a new carpet so are on cat watch, as he doesn't understand why he is shut in the kitchen.  He is having a lovely sleep on the settee but will have to watch him as am upstairs.  Maybe get rid of the Xmas tree as he thinks he is in the garden.  Just ordered new white leather settees but not for 3 months delivery, so maybe if Charlie is still around he may have to sleep in the lean to, as this cat is getting too expensive, but he is over 20 years old.  Poor Charlie. He just doesn't understand what he has done wrong, only had the carpet 2 months, so any ideas, another new carpet maybe soon.  OH did say wait until Charlie dies, but I disagreed with him.  Luckily when I said to OH have him put to sleep, he just said shut him in the kitchen, and didn't moan (like he usually does) about his lap top covered in wee and cat poo, he must love that cat, and luckily the computer still works.

Alimo

• Acre
Re: Poor Charlie
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 20:11:36 »
Sorry to hear that Borlotti.   

But goodness, Charlie's lived a good and long life.  It's sad when they get old, but then like my husband says, we shouldn't have pets if we don't love them.

Alison x

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 20:15:31 »
ahhh poor Charlie,sounds he is getting plenty of cuddles to cheer him up.bless your OH for not minding about his laptop!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 20:30:24 »
I must admit I was surprised, but he does love that cat, maybe more than he loves me.  ;D ;D  I did suggest that we put the old arm chair in the lean to and a cat litter tray, but he said it was too cold for him, but I think that would be a good idea, because it is not too cold as has a glass roof, and if the new settee is not coming for 10-12 weeks, he should be OK. I really think he should live outside, on in the lean to, as we have grandchildren and poo and wee on the new carpet is not too hygenic and I can't watch him all day and night.  I have just had to go downtairs as he was wailing and has done another poo, in the cat litter tray as I put him in it.  Think we will have to visit the vet tomorrow as he is distressed that he can't come into the living room.  Think he has cat senile dymentia, which I said to the vet 6 months ago, but I do love that cat.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 20:57:47 »
Sorry to hear about Charlie, it does sound as though he's gone senile, doesn't it? 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 21:19:27 »
has charlie been seen by the vet lately has it might some thing as simple as a water infection has that can  send animals as well as humans in-contenant as it did with smokey my cat who's 15 next may  so all it might take is a course of tablets

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 22:05:29 »
Charlie has had two blood tests, and he is OK, but the vet said he has gone blind.  He has to go back after Xmas, but it is so expensive, £165 last time.  He is OK but if he can't see can't blame him for mistaking the Xmas tree for outdoors and the jigsaw box for his litter tray, he has been a clean cat for years, and likes to go out, but can't see in the dark.  He will have to be shut in the kitchen tonight, with a dirt tray and blanket, and he can go outdoors but it is a bit of a problem as every time I go to the shops, or out, I will have to shut him in the kitchen, but he has a lovely blanket there, but he does not understand why he does not have the run of the house, but it is unhygenic to let him poo, sometimes I don't find it. I have already said to OH when he gets too bad, we will put a litter tray and  a bed in the lean to, and he will have to live there. 

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 22:32:24 »
Oh Borlotti it's so sad when our hairy "family" reach this stage.
We haven't  really kept cats but when our retrievers became old men it was hard.
we kept our old carpets and furniture for exactly the reasons you talk about.Sumo our last old boy had a second stroke and like your lovely Charlie was always a clean chap,even in his awful state he "threw "himself into the garden so as not to soil the carpet.Loving animals is a glorious thing but sad and trying at the end.
I wish the best for Charlie  :)
sanity is overated

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 23:05:41 »
Sorry to hear this. Our 23 year old cat was similar. We got a  cheap fleece which we spread over settee and portion of floor for supervised cuddles when we were in. When we were out he was in the lean to/porch with a really comfy bed and thick fleece with a pet heatpad. We put an upturned cardboard box over the washable bed (cuts out drafts and kept warm) He was as happy as Larry in his final months and coped well.

Our chap was a huge part of our lives and we were able to maintain a quality of life with comfort. We monitored the situation daily and were ready to make a hard decision. We were lucky in that he passed away when we were making him porridge but he had a good life. Your posts show how much you love Charlie and sometimes a wee change can maintain a quality life but you will know when you are "there"
Wishing you and Charlie all the best.
Jackie

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 23:25:50 »
My heart goes out to you :( our bella went 2 years ago her kidneys failed and that looked as if she had a stroke I am hopeless  so when I took her to the vet and they said try this and that Inew I could not  take her again so I said no her day at come My wife broke her heart and ran out but me and Bella knew she is in the back garden in her sun spot and I know she is Happy  :(
m j gravell

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 23:45:16 »
So sorry to hear of poor Charlie's problems, please give him an extra cuddle from me.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 09:15:33 »
Sorry to hear about Charlie being poorly again. Like so many have said ,Its such a shame when they get old. If he's pooing then you really don't want him in the kitchen. Perhaps he could go in the lean to but he would need some sort of heat if he has lived in the house especially now its getting cold. You could always have him in for a cuddle
We have had a dog and a rabbit that went blind but they still knew where everything was as long as we didn't move stuff..I wonder if it is dementia with Charlie
Whatever happens give him a big hug from us.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 09:37:54 »

So sorry to hear about poor Charlie,its so sad when our beloved pets get old.
   June.

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 10:43:01 »
Sorry to hear about Charlie's troubles, hoping he adapts successfully to a few new routines. Sometimes feels like the vets have us over a barrel when it comes to our beloved pets. Wishing you the best of outcomes.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 12:51:50 »
Charlie seems to have accepted the fact he sleeps in the kitchen at night and when I am out, and has a litter tray by the back door, but so far good and he has been going out in the garden very briefly.  He is having a lovely sleep on the coffee table on his blanket as I am in today.  Was just doing my cat jigsaw puzzle (which is driving me mad, what a time waster), and went in the kitchen to find the terrible twins trying out Charlie's blanket (which I will now have to wash, as not sure if Gabanna has been treated).  Chucked them both out in the rain and shut the cat flap, cruel woman but hopefully they will go home. Roll on summer.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 08:27:21 »
So pleased to hear that he is getting used to his new routine
                             I want em saying

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 19:23:10 »
No more poos, even left Charlie in the living room, on my lovely new carpet, when I went to Morrisons as he was having a lovely sleep on the settee, on his blanket, and luckily when I checked, he was still asleep when I got home.  He is a very clever cat, and knows that at night, when the cat litter tray comes in, he has to sleep in the kitchen, as it has a tiled floor, which I can clean.  The only trouble is at night when he goes out he cannot find the cat flap to get in so does this wailing.  Probably because he can see in the day and not at night, so now we have to shut him in at night, forgot last night to shut the cat flap both ways, so woke up to have 3 cats, the terrible twins and poor Charlie. 

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 08:31:43 »
That cat is really luvved up
                             I want em saying

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 14:27:11 »
I was just thinking the same thing Shirlton.
I hope it continues to go well for Charlie. Long may he wail.  :) How about a small light directed at the cat-flap? No that's daft. carry on. :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 17:18:24 »
OH doesn't sleep well as he has tinnitus, so he is normally awake and goes out with a powerful torch to find Charlie.  An outside light would be a good idea for security as well as for Charlie.  Roll on summer and he can sleep in the sun.  This will definately be my last animal, a tidy house and no hairs in food (or fleas).  Do you believe that.  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal