Author Topic: Vegetable Cages  (Read 6769 times)

schmelda

• Half Acre
Vegetable Cages
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:42:18 »
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a new vegetable cage for Christmas (hurrah for allotment related gifts!), but am really not sure what sort of one to suggest.  They vary massively and price (and presumably stability/ease of use/etc).

I've been eyeing up this 'ball cage' http://www.garden-netting.co.uk/acatalog/garden_structures.html#a900Veg, but would really value some advice. 

My planting areas are 6m x 4m, and I plant rows down the long side, so I was thinking of going for one 5+metres long, but also wasn't sure what width would be most useful.  I plan to use them over kale, a few cabbages, chard and brussels sprout).  Is big better, or several smaller?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I really don't want to end up with something that isn't quite up to scratch.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Vegetable Cages
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:00:48 »
First one I would take into consideration is that you will need to work inside the cage..weeding etc...so how much bending does your back can take..perharps you need taller cage or would you be happy with lower?
If you are going to keep it as 'brassica cage'..you need to move it about as growing brassicas on same spot year after year is not going to work for long term..they will need 'fresh' ground ideally every year, but you can get away two or three years on same ground with careful ground preparation...perharps several smaller ones would be easier for moving them about and that allow you growing different type of brassicas in different batches.
I would say tall and bigger cages are ideal for more permanent planting and where the plants will need the room.
 I don't cage my brassicas..I may just net mine over for few weeks when the young plants are most vulnerable...but if I would need cage.. I would go for lower..more temporary cages.. if it was to cover brassicas only.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 09:29:02 »
One of the things that attack brassicas is caterpillers, you need quite a small gauge net to keep the butterflies off. 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:37:06 »
Unless your problem is with the flying rats...  :-\

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 18:51:32 »
We have problems with pigeons and other birds, and they're quite good at getting through draped netting.  I've rigged up and bit of a leaning cage using canes for my over wintering crops, which has been far more successful, hence wanting to invest in something a bit more sturdy!

Crawling around to do the weeding isn't a problem.  I was looking at cages that came apart fairly easily for ease of movement (and would also mean I could go one big, or several smaller); so I guess I'm looking at the right kind of thing. :)

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 19:04:18 »
I have just done an experimental one on the allotment with some 17mm plastic pipe(would also work with canes) and empty pop bottles will post some pics tomorrow before you spend any money  ;)
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 19:08:08 »
One of our plot holders got a lovely cage as a pressie.  It was very large and I expect it was going to be permanent.  It was an aluminium structure.  Went down during the winter to find it was flat on the ground.  Apparently the snow had brought it down

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 19:31:11 »
Ah, hadn't considered snow.  I'd probably just remove the netting if it was going to be that bad - the snow would keep the birds off!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 22:07:28 »
One of our plot holders got a lovely cage as a pressie.  It was very large and I expect it was going to be permanent.  It was an aluminium structure.  Went down during the winter to find it was flat on the ground.  Apparently the snow had brought it down

Yes, the couple of wooden netted frames i left  right way up last year were destroyed by the snow, ive remembered to turn them upside down this year lol
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 07:29:09 »
Snow does not keep pigeons off mine.  PSB in particular tends to more or less stick out of the snow and becomes a target for all sorts. 

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 14:38:10 »

Its not finished yet as I have got to put some piping on the top to support the net and some weed fabric in the bed then I wont have to remove the net once the plants are in till harvest time.
All I have done is push a lengh of pipe into the ground and dropped a drinks bottle on top for the corners,then put a hot poker straight throught the centre ones and pushed the lengh of pipe through ,couple more holes in the corners for the width.
Cost nothing had piping given of freecycle and I can pick 6 bottles a day up on my mile walk to the allotment
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 15:17:40 »

I've done something very similar, but it's a divvil drilling holes through tennis balls!    :D  Cheers,      Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 15:59:32 »

I made these. They are easy to move around and to weed inside I just tip them on their side.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 16:58:49 »
Snow does not keep pigeons off mine.  PSB in particular tends to more or less stick out of the snow and becomes a target for all sorts. 

That's the problem. Everything's starving when there's snow as they can't access anything underneath it. So anything which sticks out becomes far more vulnerable. Once the flying rats start on it, they don't leave off until they've either finished everything, or summer arrives. If then.

JENIAN

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 17:00:36 »

I made these. They are easy to move around and to weed inside I just tip them on their side.
Thanks for pix.  Frames are megga.  Did you use debris netting from http://www.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/Debris_Netting_and_Monoflex_Sheeting/STRONGFORGE/Debris_Netting_-_3M_x_50M_-_Green._650.aspx  also I find debris netting does not control whitefly since using the netting i have my best brasicas.
Ian

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 15:47:01 »
Yes, that's the site I used. I bought 2 rolls of debri net and one roll of monoflex. I had trouble with white fly, they can't get out once in. I sprayed with water with washing up liquid once a week to keep them down. The main object was to keep the cabbage whites off. 100% effective.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal