Author Topic: Seed requests  (Read 7921 times)

pete JB

• Half Acre
Seed requests
« on: November 10, 2011, 17:10:51 »
Hi all,

The seeds out of this years kin are harvesred and currently drying at home. They will be ready in a few weeks. Although the pumpkin was small (555Lb`s) the genetic potential is great for the seeds.
If you would like some can you send me an email please.
I will need you to send a small stamped self addressed padded envelope to me so I can send you some out. Depending on how many requests I get, it will either be 2 or 3 seeds.

Please PM me

Thanks

Pete
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 17:16:33 by pumpkinlover »

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
Re: Seed requests
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 14:47:30 »
Hi all,  Just to jump on Pete's wagon, I also have about 40 seeds available from my 494lb pumpkin which you may want as a back-up to Pete's seed.

As per Pete's, my pumpkin is not as big as others that you can obtain seeds from but the potential genetics for a big one are still locked up in the seeds.

PM me for my address and send a SAE.  Will send 13 lots of 3 seeds which are available now.

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 19:32:34 »
Whats the cross on yours DT ?

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:20:39 »
I only grew one last year so mine are self pollinated.

What's on your grow list for next year.

I am growing:

1. 852 Myers (746 Snyder x 1059.6 Vincent McGill).  See what it grew in 2011 (Pumpking on BP) it won a Howard Dill Award
2. 1098 Moretti
3. 924 Johnson (1204 Scherber x 1810 Stevens) - interesting genetics if you dig back.  I'll keep you in mind if I get more than 2 seeds from the grower (arvadaboy on BP)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 11:25:30 »
Seeds sent Betty, 2 packes of 4

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 16:46:05 »
Not gonna grow for competition next year. I`m going to concentrate on growing for show. I did a couple of local shows this year and did ok. I want to grow at national level next year so planning on doing stump rooted carrots and long ones, plus parsnips.
I`m going to grow a couple of pumpkins too, orange ones. I have just managed to get my hands on a 1180 Pukos seed. It grew Stu and Ian Patons british record 1504 and it`s bright orange. Got it for 15 quid too so cant grumble. I`m gonna grow my own seed too and see what happens.
Those are good genetics, good luck with them

Pete

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 19:51:30 »
Seeds sent Betty, 2 packes of 4

That is very kind, thank you so much.  :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 12:38:01 »
Have PM'd you Pete JB

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 15:44:47 »
Hi petengade

I have not recieved a message from you. Just checked. Can you resend if you want some seeds please.

Thanks

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 18:22:30 »
Posted PM on the 17th heard nothing, thought your seeds had gone, so took up Dandytowns kind offer yesterday, hope I have not caused  any friction, sorry.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 18:24:44 by petengade »

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 10:45:04 »
I am sure you haven't Pete.  I joined Pete's thread as it is better to offer seeds in one place.  Send him another PM and grow both  ;)

Peter  (too many Pete's in this thread, a top name eh!)

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 15:31:50 »
Thats cos it`s a great name DT
 ;)

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 13:37:34 »
Thank you very much Dandytown, Seeds arrived today, am going to be very busy trying to get anywhere near your monster  ;D
Pete.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 12:05:42 »
You'll be busy I bet but I am sure you can beat mine!

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 17:50:02 »
One big snag ,Dandytown I will be in Thailand for the month of august , seems that is the time to nurse the plant, or would the seed keep until the next year?

Cant trust the chap looking after the house to give TLC but was quite good last time tho green house was a jungle.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 17:38:35 »
The seed will keep for many years.  Some growers keep seeds for many years to wait and see what other growers have achieved with them before they plant.  Some seeds are grown 10 years later.  Just keep them nice and dry.

I think you could get away with being away in August.  Every month is important but I would say during May - July the plant needs the most care.  By the time you leave for Thailand you should have confidence to trim off all the over females and go with the one fruit that you think will be best and is in the best location etc.  You could quite easily go away for August, especially if you could rig up a watering system.  If you do not water and it is dry your plant will probably come down with powdery mildew.

Look up Darlock or Hozelock for watering systems.  Darlock do automatic water timers that can be fitted to water buts if you are not keen on having one on a tap.  With the Darlock, a couple of AA's drive the valve to water from the but.  With the Hozelock (and a Darlock too) the mains is left on and its the water that drives the valve (batteries for the timer though).

I am going to get the darlock for the waterbutt at my allotment as I think watering little and often will get me a bigger pumpkin as opposed to huge drenches once a day.

I think the darlock is around £42 as a kit to fit on a water butt and had all the attachments, drippers and tubing.

If you can water it this way when you are away you may be okay.  As soon as you get back you will need to trim off all the unwanted teritary vine growth as this will be stealing energy away from your pumpkin.  There will be loads of growth in September and October.

I'd still go for it but its your call.  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 17:41:55 by Dandytown »

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 18:37:44 »
No problem Dandytown, when I built the greenhouse, put water in as well and have plastic pipe and drippers that I can knock up to run outside, will do so in the winter. did a Google for Darlock, found no watering system.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 11:15:40 »

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 09:35:52 »
Have saved to favourites, thanks Dandytown

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 13:36:06 »
All.

If you have requested seed from me, it will be posted out this week. The seeds were dry enough to be bagged up this monring. Not sure when I will post this week but it will be as early as I can drag my tired ar*e into town.

:)

Merry Christmas everyone and may your pumpkins be mahoosive !

Pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal