Author Topic: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun  (Read 73034 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
 Is anyone up for a tomato challenge for the biggest one for next year, it was mentioned on another thread but felt it needed it's own place so it doesn't get lost.

I am posting early so folks can investigate suitable seeds if they wish, be able to swap, buy etc and still have lots of time to start early.

There is lots of info on the internet for tips on growing giant tomatoes. A lot of the info suggests manuring the spot in the autumn (fall )so another reason to start early.

Although a competition, there are no prizes here and hopefully we won't take ourselves too seriously.

I intend to have a go, and will happilly share any info I find..no secrets here LOL

No rules, it is all on trust, but pictures, preferably on scales will be required to estimate the winner.

What do you folks think, come on I dare you !! I have never done this before so am a complete learner !! This supposed to be fun remember.

I will see if admin can make this a sticky.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hector

• Hectare
Re: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 21:39:52 »
I'm in! The idea of having the continuum of growing titchy mini ones and big ones is appealing :)
Jackie

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 21:40:33 »
Count me in.  I grew an enormous black seaman last year - unfrotunately enormous caterpillars got to it before I did.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 21:51:50 »
two points I would like to add
1.books on the subject
how to grow giant vegetable by Bernard Lavery
how grow giant vegetable by colin bowcock
giant tomatoes by Marvin H. Meisner;
2. varieties
delicious
big zac
beefsteak
porterhouse
big beef
super steak
giant Belgian

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 22:00:02 »
OH YES..I'm up to it.. ;D
I've never aimed to grow a biggie..its just been luck so far so I'm already looking forward for a challence to try do in purpose.. ::)..that's it folks...its going to be monsoons next summer..sorry.. :-X

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 22:16:56 »
Oh good..some interest.

Thank you Plainleaf , I thought you may put the books on, good choice of varieties too.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 22:35:44 »
This is my biggest so far this year and still time to ripen. It was a Brandywine from your seed swap Jeannine. I don't usually go for huge ones, the Celebrity one was big enough and had a good flavour. Just waiting for the taste test on this one.

If I get another one like it next year..........will be in on the competition  ;)

PS - Must clean hubby's glasses  ::)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 22:40:39 »
I would like to have a go too ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 22:50:54 »
Well I have just got to join in now ;D

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 23:17:16 »
As I said before Toms not my forte but I'm up for it just don't snigger if I come in last  ;D

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 07:05:26 »
As I said before Toms not my forte but I'm up for it just don't snigger if I come in last  ;D

We've never been very successful with beefsteak type toms, so that strikes a chord.  Perhaps we could compete for the wooden spoon?  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 08:02:56 »
Smashing, and no one will be sniggering,we are all newbies to this so anything could happen.

It will be fun..

Plainleaf has given is some ideas about varieties, I have to admit I have most of them but truthfully they are part of my stash and have never grown any of them other than Big Beef ( one of my favourites) Beefsteak and Giant Belguin and I don't remember anything huge from any of them.

I also have a few to add which I will do later XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 08:09:58 »
Yep...I've grown few of those from Plainleaf's list before too..and didn't get any unusually biggies neither...but then again..I grew them as any other tomato and without any extra efford.
Perharps if I put my mind to it and pamper a plant or two. OHH..fun..something to look and shop for.. ;D
But first I have to give..deeep dig into my seedbox and check the situation what may lurk in the 'dark corners'.. ;)
Hmmm..my mind is already in hard at work about the preparations.. ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 09:35:33 »
I'll have a go with my 'oxheart' toms, just got to remember to save some seed  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 17:48:29 »
That's it we are all sunk, manics is sowing those huge blooming Oxhearts of hers..and Niinyscrops with MY Brandywine..LOL

So I have

Porterhouse, Church, Big Zac,Rebecca Sebastian  BB(it sounds rude) Hoy,Delicious  off the top of my head, I know I have others so will take a look in my notes..

XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 18:13:28 »
Out of the 'super size' ones I have Delicious, Beefsteak, Gian Belgian (I think  ::))..oh..can't remember..
BUT..I've been browsing around in net..and found Estonian seed company that sell tons of Russian and other 'easten' varieties...EXCITING!..they have quite few 'XL-type' toms.. ;D ;D ;D....and DIRT cheap!!!!!
So..I ended up doing 'trial' order to see how this company supply.. ;)..bought Gigand Novikova 10 (amongst other 'few' things  :-X)..that can produce biggens..
Just in case somebody else is interested I post the site to other tread....'seed shopping sites'.

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 18:16:35 »
Yes I've seen it :P -oops that's a bit rude! :o

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 18:32:34 »

We've never been very successful with beefsteak type toms, so that strikes a chord.  Perhaps we could compete for the wooden spoon?  :)

Me too, will this work without a greenhouse and can I estimate losses to slugs? ;)

Must get seed now.....yippee ;D
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 18:35:07 »
Actually it is a lot rude :o

for those curious it is Rebecca Sebastian Bull Bag... no I didn`t christen it

Just had a peep and I have Slankard, Belmont,Behemoth King and Croation Brandywine on the way.,.

Bear in mind I just want to beat the cheeky fella on our gardens..and am hoping this helps.

So has anyone found out where we start yet,when do we sow etc.

Plainleaf, I think you are the only one who has done this before .. come on where did you start.

XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 19:10:11 »
Hmm...perharps it needs to be faily early sowing to get the plants chance to grow big and strong enough..mid Feb?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal