Author Topic: SWEET MALT VINEGAR  (Read 19292 times)

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
SWEET MALT VINEGAR
« on: June 17, 2011, 16:17:05 »
Does anyone know if you can buy sweet malt vinegar? Ive never heard of it but an old man on my plot is after some. Ive googled it but with no luck so id thought id ask on here.

Lishka

• Acre
Re: SWEET MALT VINEGAR
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 17:17:47 »
Hiya new matey!

Please, I'm not being awkward....merely rubbish at posting links  :( but I've just Googled 'Sweet Vinegar' and come across some recipes....please give it another go if no-one replies with a specific recipe?  Seems to me that it's vinegar (malt or whatever), sugar, vinegar & water which, I suppose, dilutes the sheer vinegarness of it all?

All the best with your search,

Lishka

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 17:44:08 »
I make what you would call a sweet malt vinegar I guess. I make  gallon at a time with  sugar to taste, I bring it to a boil, sweeten it , I put a  spice bag in  while boiling.When when I pickle beetrrot it is already to go. I use it when making chutney too. I do have a recipe written down somewhere if you need it. It is good sprinkled on stuff too.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:57:48 »
 :)

I sweeten white wine vinegar with jam sugar and fennel seeds and boil it with raspberry juice to make a sticky, slightly thick raspberry vinegar.

Boiling vinegar makes lung-burning fumes, I`m going to start doing it on the allotment instead of at home.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 18:32:53 »
Hi thanks for your replies. It wasnt a recipe he was after he just wondered if you could buy sweet malt vinegar. Will tell him what Jeannine does to hers thanks

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 18:33:50 »
Let me know of you need specifics XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 19:30:20 »
Distilled malt vinegar (or white vinegar) is not quite as harsh as the brown malt, though I would by no means call it sweet.

If your friend wants it for pickling, as both vinegar and sugar are preservatives he could add sugar to taste.

I've just done some Chinese mixed pickles of daikon, carrot, red and green peppers, celery and spring onion using white vinegar and sugar, and they really are rather nice. ;D

valmarg

ncd72

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 19:54:07 »
I make what you would call a sweet malt vinegar I guess. I make  gallon at a time with  sugar to taste, I bring it to a boil, sweeten it , I put a  spice bag in  while boiling.When when I pickle beetrrot it is already to go. I use it when making chutney too. I do have a recipe written down somewhere if you need it. It is good sprinkled on stuff too.

XX Jeannine

Hi Jeannine - any chance you could send me that recipe?

Many Thanks

Neil

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 19:56:43 »
No probs..

2 litres of malt vinegar
1 litre of water
1 and  1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
1 and 1/2 cups white sugar
159 gram packet of pickling spice(this  is usually the basic size in shops) I tie this in a piece of muslin.

I use an American cup measure for the sugar, but anything that will hold 8 fluid ounces of liquiid 259m ml will do as a measure.. it is not crucial.. so use anything that will measure out that amount, then use it to measure the sugar, If you have a measuring jog that records fluid ounces or mls, then use that up to the 8 ounce or 250 ml line.

Bring it all to the boil and gently simmer it for about 30 minutes. Remove the spice bag.

I then pour it through several layers of damp muslin to clarify it as the spices can leave to a wee bit cloudy, but you don't have too.

It keeps for ever.

use it for pickling beetroot, bring the required amount up to boil, pour over cooked sliced beet.

It is lovely for that. I think beets pickled in straight vinegar are eye wateringly harsh !!

Great for pickled onions too.

XX Jeannine

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:48:12 »
How about making a sugar syrup first (add minimum amount of water then heat to dissolve), allow to cool then add to vinegar.

Would avoid the fume stage of boiling vinegar to dissolve the sugar.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 15:18:55 »
I like the smell actually, it is quite pleasant when  perfumed.

I find the white vinegar much more acrid than malt.

XX Jeannine

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 22:00:43 »
Well there you go.  Personally I find the white vinegar much less acid than plain malt, but its all a matter of taste. :-\ :-\

valmarg

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 18:25:40 »
White vinegar over here may be diffeernt  Valmarg so folks should bear that in mind. too

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 19:07:24 »
The recipe 'J' has given is almost the same as the one I have which is well handed down.

It can be varied with different types of sugars and spices to suit the taste. Dried chillis for example make it hotter and all white sugar or all brown sugar can be used. What ever is prefererred or what ever is to hand.

It does keep well too. So you can make it this year and what is left can be used next year.

The secret or any recipe is what is LEFT OUT
A lot of people will gladly pass on a basic recipe but will leave out that bit of spice (for example) they add to make it their very own.

My gran always added a shred of dried orange peel. No one else knew that and even though I have never made it. I still remember being sworn to secrecy about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal