Author Topic: Blackcurrant Cordial  (Read 3843 times)

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
Blackcurrant Cordial
« on: June 13, 2011, 23:12:27 »
Hi
I have done a search on here as well as Google etc. but can't find a recipe for blackcurrant cordial, I would like to make one with citric acid or similar so it keeps well as I have picked LOADS of blackcurrants.

Many thanks
(PS I bought the citric acid from a Polish shop 39p for 50g, I know some people have had difficulty getting hold of it)

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Blackcurrant Cordial
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 23:14:14 »
I might have one, need to look through a few books though..give ne a wee bit iof time and I will get back to you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:41:19 »
I don't have a recipe for cordial but can recommend these which i frist tried two years ago when we had a bumper crop and again last year.  Delicious.

Spiced blackcurrant jelly
1kg     blackcurrants
900ml water
200ml cider or sherry vinegar
5cm    stick of cinnamon
12      cloves
          white sugar

Bring to the boil the blackcurrants, water and bruised spices and then simmer for one hour.   turn into a jelly straining bag or a sieve lined with muslin and allow to drip through.   Do not push it or it will cloud the jelly.

Mix the resulting juice with the vinegar and then, for every 600ml add 450g of warmed sugar.  Return the juice to the cleaned pan and boil hard hard till a set is obtained.   pot and seal.

Fabulous on toast or on bread spread with cream cheese or as a condiment for pork and game.

Blackcurrant vinegar
1kg      blackcurrants
1 litre  white or cider vinegar
           white sugar

Wash the fruits and put in a large glass or earthenware pot.  Add the vinegar and leave to stand for 5 days, covered.  Stir occasionally.

Strain through a fine sieve or a muslin cloth then, depen,ding on your sweet tooth, add between 225g and 45G of sugar for every 600ml of juice.  Heat gently to dissolve the sugar then boil for 10 minutes.  Bottle.

Very good for tickly throats in winter and as a salad dressing, especially with red cabbage.

Obxx - Vendée France

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 16:35:59 »
I make low sugar cordial and freeze it (diabetic hubbie), I cook the black currants and squash with a potato masher, strain it through a seive and use the currants in a crumble, the juice is mixed with some water and half sugar, then frozen. We dilute it with sugar free pop  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal