Author Topic: Help and Advice please: Repairing "cheapy" polytunnel  (Read 8727 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Help and Advice please: Repairing "cheapy" polytunnel
« on: February 06, 2011, 14:52:44 »
I've got a 4.5x2 metre polytunnel, the sort that is a bunch of not very large bore white tubes as a frame with a cover that has the square mesh in it.... It's only a year old but one of the seams has pretty much let go in the wind. What's the best way to repair (I've taken it down, it's get re-erected on my allotment). Is it worth trying to sew it in situ or would I be  better off with tape? I really want to get another summer out of this cover if I can.

chrisc

birdsrfun

• Quarter Acre
Re: Help and Advice please: Repairing "cheapy" polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 15:05:46 »
You can buy clear waterproof tape about 2"wide - try a superstore like B&Q - and put a piece along the tear inside and outside as well and that should do it - has worked for me in the past. Works on cracked windows too.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:41:15 »
Many thanks.... I think I know the stuff...

chrisc

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:02:21 »
We have one of them. Bought it last year. I must say you get what you pay for and with this it's not a lot at all.

I think I shall be saving up my pennies for a more substantial one !!!!!

Not recommended at all
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

Geoffwilz

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 19:38:49 »
Try Polytunnel Repair tape - It's made for the job , comes in various widths and can be bought from e-bay fairly cheaply (around £3 for 30m ).

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 17:01:48 »
I've had a couple of these, a very flimsy green one from Ebay that lasted one season, and a much sturdier Gardman one from a garden centre that has just started to split after 2 weeks [Grrr!]. Tried various sticky tapes on the old one, and found that the silver waterproof Duck tape was best. If you can afford the genuine stuff I wouldnt bother with tape from pound shops or Ebay as some are rubbish, and you won't know until its too late!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:41:08 »
Yes, you're right Lewic,  the silvery duct tape from Poundland doesn't last 3 months - the adhesive dries out to a ppwder and the wind makes the loose tape lash the cover...

The clear tape from Wickes has good adhesive, though it starts to suffer UV damage after a year.

If you only want to get an extra 18 months out of it then the Wickes clear tape is probably the most cost-effective option.

I've also got some aluminium foil tape from Poundland but I haven't tried it yet.

If I could get a battery-powered pressing iron (or glue gun) I could weld some fresh polythene on for a more permanent job. I suppose it wouldn't take much of an inverter to run a glue gun but the 750W for an iron is out of my price range!

Actually I read decades ago (Scientific American) that polythene melt is the perfect adhesive for aluminium - and it really works - it's a combination which should be immune to UV and everything else.

If I could predict the hotspots perfectly for my next cover I could iron a bacofoil and polythene sandwich on before installing it. Impossible dream! but if my tunnel was nearer home I could mark it in situ and take it back to reinforce. Difficult on a pushbike.

Definitely worth a try if yours is in your garden - or if you have a van.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 17:13:34 »
^^ well, my cheapo polytunnel has a split seam in the wind so, having read the post above, I've been to Wickes today for their All Weather tape.

I can confirm that it is indeed the dog's danglies and an absolute bargain at £5.99 for a 20m roll  :o  :o

Still you get what you pay for I guess.  Thank you.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 18:40:23 »
Code: [Select]
If I could get a battery-powered pressing iron (or glue gun) I could weld some fresh polythene on for a more permanent job. I suppose it wouldn't take much of an inverter to run a glue gun but the 750W for an iron is out of my price range!

Would one of these girly appliances do? http://www.boots.com/en/Babyliss-Pro-Cordless-Ceramic-Gas-Curling-Tong_230162/
They get pretty hot and you could probably pick up a cheapo version for less than a tenner.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal