Author Topic: Sealing the bottom of a new greenhouse  (Read 10452 times)

Plot22

• Half Acre
Sealing the bottom of a new greenhouse
« on: May 31, 2011, 20:59:23 »
I have laid my base for my new Robinsons Greenhouse to be delivered in 2/3weeks time. It looks ok but I am no expert slab layer. I would like ideas on how to seal the bottom to the concrete slabs incase there are any imperfections . Or is this necessary?  I do not think it is far out perhaps half an inch at the most. I have been looking at the various mastics on the market and I am thinking towards a clear Silicone. The greenhouse is green not silver . A retirement gift from me to me

Regards

Plot22

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Sealing the bottom of a new greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 22:03:21 »
You might be best to wait till the greenhouse is in place before sealing?

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 22:03:46 »
Our greenhouses have a small wall for a base- only one brick or so depth and the greenouse sits on that. Never used any kind of sealant.

If you are putting directly onto the slabs they must be firm.

Have fun!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 22:15:39 »
If you mean the level of your slab are out by half an inch that becomes a lot more at the apex of the lower end.
Not knowing what type of GH Aluminium or wood and how you intend to use sealents on the base.
You could make up the level with cement by resting the frame on to a thick mix (not to much water) and level it off using a spirit level and length of wood to tamper down on
Another way is to put the GH in situ then level it up with wedges then pack the cement in and leave it to set, remove the wedges then pack the holes.
The problem will be drilling into the slabs to screw it down.
If it aluminium and i had spent that much and had the time i would build a level breeze block base so the frame ready for the frame to go on then the holes are easily marked and drilled by moving the frame. This will also give you that bit extra height
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 22:21:59 »
Code: [Select]
If you mean the level of your slab are out by half an inch that becomes a lot more at the apex of the lower end.Yep..and it means that all glass panes are not going to fit in..been there.. ::)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 22:24:42 »

If it aluminium and i had spent that much and had the time i would build a level breeze block base so the frame ready for the frame to go on then the holes are easily marked and drilled by moving the frame. This will also give you that bit extra height

That's what "we" did  :) , the royal we also used a bit of silicone around the base and down some of the sides where there were some small gaps, i don't think it was absolutely necessary, more of a finishing touch

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:24:39 »
I would suggest that after levelling the base you consider laying down a course of bricks (the ones with three or more holes in) laid so the holes are horizontal.

WHY I hear you ask.  .  .  .It is stagnant air in greenhouses that help growths of fungal deseases so by ensuring a good through flow of fresh air you will cut down that possibility.    :o  Cheers,   Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal