Author Topic: Having to relay patio  (Read 4042 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Having to relay patio
« on: May 08, 2011, 21:16:30 »
hi all

just letting off steam after an I told u so has proved to be correct and it's now delaying
my garden. Husband layed the patio last year before the winter with just a sand base and pavefix to fix the slabs in place. So what's happened it the pavefix did not set the slabs are sinking and the weeds are growing between them. Patio is useless !!

Finally got husband out to look at the slabs and now he wants to pull the whole thing up an lay a concrete base (not dabs but full layer) I am not impressed.

Spent the evening moving bricks and slabs he's not yet got around to doing anything with bit there on where I want to plant. All my plants are in pots and I am itching to get them
established before another winter.

Am soaking my feet and fuming

cam

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Having to relay patio
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 21:21:06 »
Oh dear! Any chance of getting a professional in to get it done quicker?

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 22:26:08 »
going to make some calls tomorrow ;( would it be expensive? I hope not

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:06:55 »
Ah, husbands. Can't live with them, can't bury them under the patio  ::)  ;D

Best thing is just to get a couple of local tradesmen to come & give you some quotes. I guess if you've already got the slabs then that's a fair chunk of the cost already paid for. Bit of a bugger if it's not something you'd budgeted for but better maybe to spend the extra out now & not have to do it again in six months time.

Not advice I've taken myself mind or I'd have my fireplace finished four months ago when the stove was fitted rather than waiting for the husband to finish it with no end of cussing from both of us.  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 18:04:50 »
I have found good tradesmen through this site:

http://www.ratedpeople.com/

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 18:11:43 »
Ah, husbands. Can't live with them, can't bury them under the patio  ::)  ;D

haha

I have already given up on having the garden for this summer although with the heat not a bad thing but i would love to let Harriet out on the grass. Garden is so close to being finished just a few critical steps and its there but i fear the only way i can get it done now is to trow money (which i have not got) or time (husbands which he does not have) at the problems all the jobs are things i just cant do.

called 1 tradesman today hes comming wednesday and will look at the link posted above to find another 1 but if its anything like trying to get a door put onto the back of the garage its going to be hard to find more than 1.

(garage door saga called 20 companies, 2 came to look zero quotes though the door !)

humf :(

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:10:18 »
We have a bit of a hate-hate relationship with tradesmen. We put our previous house back together pretty much on our own, only getting the roof done by pros. Now we haven't got the time to do it & we've taken the view that it's better to pay out a little bit and get it done quicker but by the time you've spent hours ringing round, waiting in, not getting quotes & then starting again, I do wonder. Plus a rather holey roof in the new house decimated the savings before we'd even begun.

Like you, we need to get the garden done before the little one starts wanting to run about. I've got a few months on you though, mine's not quite seven months. Waiting in for a fence delivery this morning which should give me a decently defined boundary to start laying out the garden. Downside is that I've got two patios & the remains of a veranda that we took down last summer to move before I can lay out lawn & a more sensible patio. We've got a lot of york stone paving on site already which I'd love to get someone else to lay as they're about three inches thick & I don't want to have the same problem as you in six months. Being on mat leave doesn't add much to the bank though & there's so much to do in the garden & house.

Ah well. At least by the time little one gets properly mobile it'll be winter so he won't be out in the garden much anyway. If motherhood has taught me anything it's patience. I've realised that it's not the end of the world if things take four times as long as they would have before. Plus I can spend more time window shopping & planning.  ;D

Hope you get a decent response from the tradesmen . . . .

Urlybird

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 22:25:45 »
Hi
If you are interested, i could possibly give you a rough guide price on how much it should cost, put up some dimensions and post some pics of what you have already,

regards
Somewhere, in the world, the sun is over the yardarm,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal