Author Topic: Plot Thefts  (Read 9133 times)

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
Plot Thefts
« on: March 20, 2011, 13:41:32 »
Grrrrr. Just ventured down to the plot today (having just recovered from my latest back injections!) and we have had 5 of our potato bins stolen off the plot. The bricks that were inside to stop them blown away had been stacked up and the bins gone. Nothing we can do but it gets frustrating! Especially seen as the council cleared the perimeter of the brambles etc (which made it a lot harder for thieves to operate) for security fencing and then said they couldn't afford it. So thanks to them the site is even less secure than it was. Aplogies... /rant over.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Plot Thefts
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 15:12:42 »
Makes me mad everytime I hear about allotment thefts.
We had one of our small bins taken over the winter. They left the lid though.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 19:38:10 »
Nothing nicked yet this year touch wood.

Then again the rhubarb isn't up yet. Can anyone recommend an 'ornamental' and poisonous one because I've got a lovely spot for it just next to the eating ones.....that will teach them.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 20:53:32 »
Have you had a look around on site, someone might have thought you had packed it in and helped themselves, wrong I know but vultures will be vultures.   :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 21:02:36 »
Have you had a look around on site, someone might have thought you had packed it in and helped themselves, wrong I know but vultures will be vultures.   :(

Yes had a good walk around and no other plots had em on. Also not blown away either as the bricks that were used to weigh em down had been tipped out.

Maybe I should invoice the council for the cost of them, lol

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 21:24:35 »
well there is an argument to say there liable as they have removed the natural security fencing..

hedgehog7

• Isle of Purbeck. Within site of the sea - Just!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:47:51 »
Just got our new plot after 2.5 years on the waiting list.  Everyone assured us that there was never any trouble on our site.  3 weeks later someone broke into our shed and stole my chair!! :'(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 13:05:47 »
Sorry to hear that Hedgehog..
Sadly "New" plotholders can be an obvious target as active members often leave expensive kit over night when old lags know better...
Welcome to A4A...
 :)

hedgehog7

• Isle of Purbeck. Within site of the sea - Just!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 13:34:57 »
I used to do 14 rod on a site and London which got broken into so often most people gave up.  But to take my tatty old chair....they must be really desperate

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 14:10:38 »
I'd sugget the chair was still on site... and they used it to get in a window or over a tall fence...

When we cleared our first plots they were so overgrown with self set trees (damsons) that we found a 10x12 greenhouse at the back.. within two weeks vandals had broken in and burnt down a shed on the next plot which set fire to the greenhouse as well (wood frame)!!  >:(

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 17:27:41 »
I run barbed wire into my carrots and parsnips that will teach them.

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 20:49:52 »
In the last couple of years we've had old tatty patio type pots nicked that were totally worthless, and also over the winter we had our barrow stolen.
A few weeks ago someone had all of their ducks stolen  ???

archiesdad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 21:15:43 »
We've had a few thefts recently from our plots. The local police are keeping an eye on things but I don't think it's much of a deterent. It is frustrating and annoying but I think we need to be realistic - leave nothing of any value on your plot / shed. Last monday someone set fire to our communal shed which in reality was hardly used (that's not the point, it's still arson!). So now we are waiting on our local council tom come and clear away the debris .... won't hold my breath waiting for them to arrive

I was trying to link a couple of photos, couldn't work out how to do it. Anyway they are in my gallery if anyone wants to have a look at them. At least my little boy had some fun with the fire engines!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 21:46:00 by archiesdad »

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 21:22:00 »
Special Constable should be issued to patrol allotments but allotment theft is very low on anyone priorites

There is no national body that can pay for better fencing gates and CCTV so we have to rais the funds ourselves, Our association are useless and so passive nothing would ever get done, as longas the committees plots are nicleey fenced and secured no body else matters.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 07:31:21 »
Ourselves and our allotment neighbour had all of our rhubarb taken. Nothing else was ready to steal. The stuff in the sheds was in tact so methinks its not a plot breakin. :-\
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

stargazer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 17:38:10 »
We are very lucky on our site, that stuff has only ever gone missing to the wind or some hungry critters!

Folk here all leave out their lawnmowers and rotovators, including myself with my Jalo's, and luckily nothing has ever gone missing.

I can't imagine how awful it must be to go down and find half your produce missing, or your shed broken in to :'(

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 17:56:02 »
Once I grew 40 sprout plants and really cared for them until Xmas when I want there to pick some and someone had nicked the lot! Now if anyone wants anything all they have to do is ask.

You should be an exhibitor. the tricks some plot holders get up to to make sure you dont win is criminal. ::)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 08:21:09 »
Horrible :( We lost contents of two sheds last July. We have installed wee alarms that are battery powered. Make a heck of a noise, not sure if that would be good on a lottie?
Jackie

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 11:24:47 »
I had around 40 2 x 2 concrete paving flags outside the gate to my plot for around 4 months, around a month ago I barrowed them on to the plot and laid them to form paths. 2 weeks later some xxxxxx climbed over the fence and knicked the flags. I was amazed as flags are readily available for free and I could not have lifted them over the fence.
One of the other plot holders had is locks broke and his chicken poo stolen

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal