Author Topic: Water turned off?  (Read 4765 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Water turned off?
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:55:28 »
If your allotment water is turned off for the winter, on what date is it turned on again?

I needed water today for a straw bale gardening experiment, but for the first time in my experience there was none.

I am going to ask them about it, but would first like to know what is usual on other allotment sites.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Water turned off?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 07:27:18 »
Ours has never been turned off, ever since I've had an allotment, I did ask last year about them being turned off and our site sec said he had asked about it and was told by the council it wasn't cost worthy as they had to call someone in to turn it off then on again.   ???
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:39:04 »
Oh how I envy you with water!! There has not been. Water on my plot for 12 years !!! Every meeting the issue is brought up, by the plot owners without water but as the committee all have water they usually say they will look into it but nothing ever happens back breaking work in summer ferrying water from home and loafing barrow to walk it to plot every night after work. Collect small amount off small shed but as soon as it warms up doesn't go far x

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 07:58:40 »
Turned on - Monday before clocks go forward in late March
Turned off - Monday after clocks go back in late October.

There are water tanks (as well as taps) and they usually contain sufficient water in early spring to meet the needs of the few who want some water early on.

We have had several bursts in the past when it has been forgotten to switch the water off!

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:06:08 »
Our water is normally turned back on at the end of this month after the winter period, however the main stop valve under ground is about to have a locked manhole cover fitted over it. Because last year a few plot holders decided to ignore site rules and use hosepipes (Muppet's) and ran up a huge bill  ::) . So the water will be turned on for Wednesday and sunday mornings only for people to fill there water butts.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 08:07:28 »
Our site considered turning water off during winter months but decided against it in the end due to 20% of permitted plots having livestock.  This winter has cost in excess of £100 for water repairs.  Non livestock plotholders are a bit miffed at the fact that some past increases are directly due to paying for winter water repairs.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 08:10:04 »
we don't have a fixed date-we tend to go by what the weather is doing.
We try to encourage folks to collect as much water as they can from sheds and greenhouse roofs. We then give them chance to use it before turning the water on!!! ;) ;) ;)
I know some sites are not allowed sheds so that means they are less able to collect water.

Water use on our site was/is a "hot potato" in the past with the people who water a lot being the one's who vote against a rise in subs- which is only needed because the water bill has gone up!!! :D :D :D

Myself and one other plot holder has chickens and we have to carry water round to them everyday- anyone who wants to keep livestock would be told this when they start.

:-[ :-[ :-[OH is the one who goes round in the morning- I'm typing on here :-[ :-[ :-[

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:17:36 »
To add ... we have no livestock on our site nor are sheds / greenhouses permitted.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 08:32:22 »
The water is turned off some time late autumn, according to the weather; on again round about now. We always have a dummy run some time late February, when the water goes on for a couple of hours and we go round looking for leaks. But if anyone wants the water on during the winter, they ask and we turn it on for an hour or so.

But even when it's on, it works on a timer, so that it goes off at night. And I do a regular meter-reading, so that we can keep an eye on things. (After our rent, it's our biggest outlay - and over the winter we found a leak in the main supply under the car park, which cost us quite a bit to fix.)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 08:38:52 »
On BST off GMT

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 08:52:06 »
Thank you very much for some hard facts. Looks as if I need not worry until April - there are rumours that our council is going to make radical changes to all allotments to save money, and it crossed my mind that they might withdraw water. We are forbidden to attach hoses to our tap/tanks, of which we have four.

To those envious of water, I work on two sites, and the first has none, so I am very familiar with carrying water up to it myself, and I really value its availability at the second site.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 09:09:19 »
Hosepipes were banned years ago.
We have baths but have also asked people not to fill the baths with water- just to fill the watering cans. this is because people used to leave the baths overunning when they forgot about them. Changing the culture has been difficut.

Self-management means we pay for what we use and nothing to do with the council.

Maybe that is what the council may look at- if you point them in the right direction.

Water is a very valuable resource my OH worked for water board, a lot of energy and resources go into its production at drinking water quality. Unfortunatly people do not value it. (Soap box issue in our house sorry)! :-[

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 09:32:04 »
Very much in sympathy with pumpkin lover, and I value the water a great deal, just wish it was not so impossible to arrange a substandard water for allotments rather than using drinking water. And yes, this nasty surprise is encouraging me to look into water collection more seriously. We expect heavy rain this evening and I am mulling over a dustbin/tarpaulin rig....

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 09:24:49 »
They've promised to turn it on again "as soon as possible". Meanwhile I am looking into some fermentation tanks we have been offered free by a local wine makers. Thanks for all the information answering my original question.

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 09:41:27 »
Artichoke - Look for IBC containers in your local area. They are 1000litre liquid holding tanks. Most of our plots have 1 of them under guttering, we've managed to fill ours this winter.
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 13:08:30 »
The concept of no hose pipes seems to be difficult for some people to grasp.  As is the concept of filling up the communal water butts after use. 

The Wednesday and Sunday water rule seems a bit hard what if you go on Tuesdays and Saturdays?

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 15:09:02 »
 :(  Well i must say Your Lucky on your site to have water we have no taps /water on our site ,only what falls from the sky !!
i don't belive death is the end

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 08:55:21 »
Ours follow the BST and GMT rule.

Water is a continual bone of contention with many plotholders attaching hoses and sprinklers and keeping it on for 2 hours, each standpipe serves around 12 plots.  The standpipes also have self filling troughs, until last year when the council removed the ball valve apparati to fill them, so now we have people using hoses for hours on end and no water in the troughs  ??? ???
Best laid plans and all that

flitwickone

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 11:45:44 »
we are luckier than most as a river runs next to the allotments i phoned the enviromental agecny up and asked was it ok to

to fill my water butt from it they asked how big the water butt was i said about 150-200 gallons and i told them i have a petrol water pump which does the job quickley and they said i could have 20000 litres aday  :o  i laughed and said im not growing rice and i only fill the butt 3 times a year so im luckier than most  :-[

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal