Author Topic: Bird Nesting Season  (Read 4194 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Bird Nesting Season
« on: February 28, 2011, 23:20:12 »
Please be aware that birds are now nesting, so please remember that any hedge, tree, or pile of brash may very well have a bird nesting in it, and that's true for all those nooks and crannies in your sheds and garages like coat pockets and kettles (both from experience).  Please don't disturb them.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Joe11

• Quarter Acre
Re: Bird Nesting Season
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 01:05:48 »
Very good point, agree wholeheartedly. To destroy a nest in the name of tidying up a hedge is a huge shame so  please be careful and considerate. Is that a new nest this year and being used unwashed? Pretty cool but I'm guessing sumwhat of an inconvenience for you, those birds aye  ;D we had a some birds at a local nature reserve who decided that it would be a great idea to build there nest in a traffic cone that was up the right way so had to enter from the top. Not sure if they young ones fledged successfully in the end or not

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:42:27 »
Good point unwashed, and great photo

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:18:51 »

Loved that picture.
The birds have pulled all the stuffing out of the head of my scarecrow, they will have a lovely warm nest for their young though, and the scarecrow was going to bite the dust anyway
    JUNE.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:58:56 »
Sorry, I didn't credit the photo - it's from the Maray Firth Partnership - see here.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:59:33 »
I put the wooly stuff for basket liners out in a fat ball thingy ::) every year & it's always emptied. They haven't started on it yet.

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:25:37 »

I have put out the fur combing off my Birman cat [she is semi longhaired] but the birds have not taken it,  maybe they can smell cat.
    June.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 15:36:35 »
I have put up a nest box and also some hamster bedding in a net to allow the birds to take what they want.
I also have been putting out old feathers from a pillow that we had burst on us.
The birds have been going mad for this as there seems to be a lack of the feathers in this area at the moment.
Large shavings from planing wood is always another one that birds go for, as the finer the shaving the better they like it.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 15:45:31 »
Pillow fights at your age Landi ;D. Very good use for it. We had a blackbird a couple of years ago that took dried hydrangea flower head for the nest. It was funny to watch.

Hope you are well :).

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 15:52:39 »
Yes we are thanks for asking, but no pillow fights at my age as the feathers would start the OH off with an asthma attack. :-X
We have been meaning to change the pillow for me and it finally gave way to a new one, but instead of throwing it we recycled it by allowing the natives to have a bash with nesting. ;D

Got them back now to put some tread on them

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 16:36:46 »
I 'put' birds to work in my garden..dog brush left on garden table is always cleaned nicely from all the dog hair.. ;)..only the best stuff for 'our' birds ;D
I often see sparrows going into chickens pen too, to get any fallen feathers.
Some years birds been ripping my hanging basket liners into pieces and taking most of it into their nests..now that is only thing I'm not quite happy about.. :-\

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 19:28:17 »
I put up two new bird boxes on Sunday. Within minutes a blue tit checked it out but nothing's moved in yet. Early days

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 19:33:28 »
I a still feeding them 2 times a week I had some fibre filling out of the old dogs pillows  O/H gave it a good wash and it is hung from the bird tables it was a while before any was taken but it seems to be going lately fingers crossed ;D ;D ;D
m j gravell

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal