Author Topic: Black Spot on Sycamore  (Read 1970 times)

cripery

• Not So New ...
Black Spot on Sycamore
« on: February 20, 2011, 17:45:16 »
Hi There,

We have three 40 foot Sycamore Trees behind our house and they have covered our garden in leaves this year and everyone has very bad black spot / tar on them. My question is will this harm my exisiting plants? I have tried to get as many up as possible but some of my garden is a bit forest like so it's impossible to get them all. The garden mostly contains holly, yew, acers, conifers and low level ground cover evergreen plants.

Many thanks

Cripery

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Black Spot on Sycamore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 18:47:10 »
This is tar spot fungus it doesn't have a bad effect on the tree its self but i dont know if it can spread to other plants but i wouldn't have thought so because no other plants seem to get infected near the sycamores that have it, and if composting the heat produced during breakdown should kill off any spores.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 21:04:34 »
Almost every plant there is has a fungus which causes spotting. Fortunately they are specific to one genera. So the only plants which will get Black spot from Sycamores are other Acers. Very unsightly though, even if it does not seem to harm the trees themselves.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 13:15:33 »
Most of these things are specific to a specific plant or group of plants. As far as I know it doesn't harm anything, and it's so common that if it did, I'm sure we'd know about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal