Author Topic: Growing potatoes from True Potato seed.  (Read 79644 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Growing potatoes from True Potato seed.
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2011, 09:49:40 »
The most important thing from my angle is the chance of getting blight resistant spuds!

That would be beyond words.

I'm hopeful to have berries from Skagit Magic, I guess selfed or maybe Cocoon Khuchi, if you want some of these later in the year?  I have a few SM x Bluebell which look to be swelling and growing well, makes me wonder if I did not emasculate them early enough?! I've not been able to make any crosses recently, either too wet or windy, mostly both. But today looks a good one for trying for a cross or two. I have some flowering Sarpo Mira and PFA I'd like to use amongst others.

After the weekend's rain, the TPS have shot up, more earthing up/mulching needed.

Lots of rain here too. I need to get on with some more mulching! I planted my seedlings out at roughly 12-18 inches in the row, I think next year I'll space them further apart again, wider apart rows too.

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2011, 09:52:44 »
If all goes well I’d like to add some TPS to the seed circle for people to try, although I’m not sure if it is something that interests many people? I hope it does  :)

I’m also planning to offer some seed in the swap thread, to folk who are interested later in the year. I still have a couple of varieties saved from last year which could be shared along with some from this year. Maybe if a few different people have saved tps we can make it into a tps seed bank/circle?
What do you think?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2011, 09:59:05 »
YEEEEES !...for TPS.... ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;)

pumkinlover

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2011, 10:01:22 »
A tad excited there Anja? ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2011, 10:02:41 »
I've been eyeing those multi coloured 'native' potato seeds since this post started and the link to the the new world crops was posted here.
I'm wondering how they would do over here.. ???

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2011, 10:12:15 »
Code: [Select]
A tad excited there Anja ? A tad? I'm nearly wetting myself for excitement.. :-X ;D ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2011, 10:42:32 »
I've been meaning to post pictures for ages, looks like I've wiped/lost the ones I wanted. But these should give the general idea.

Following on from sowing seed indoors in the spring, transplanting the little seedlings in pots, sometimes twice.They were ready for planting out.

I've been planting mine in a trench pretty much as I would have a tuber and earthing up as they grow.

[attachment=1]

Some of the plants were quite advanced, this one has quite a few mini tubers forming. The pot size is roughly 2''x2'', if I had kept this plant in the pot, chances are many of those little tubers would have ripened (still very small) which would be handy for mini tubers for next year. If I had of used a slightly bigger pot to grow them in then similarly the tuber size would have been slightly bigger. As it is this was planted out in the ground and I'm hopeful they will go on to produce an OK crop. I wonder if I will recognise them when dug, they look quite distinctive here, purple skin with white splashes.
[attachment=2]

This is a little white flowered Skagit Magic seedling, most of the ones I have are different shades of purple flowers. Foliage is paler too although still some purple pigment on the stems.

[attachment=3]

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2011, 12:06:30 »
Oooh I am off to dig some spuds and I am sure I noticed some setting seed!  I so want to try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grow yer bugger grow!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2011, 13:56:20 »
YEEEEES !...for TPS.... ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;)

Glad you are keen  ;D It will be great if we can get several different varieties together.

I've been eyeing those multi coloured 'native' potato seeds since this post started and the link to the the new world crops was posted here.
I'm wondering how they would do over here.. ???

So far they are doing really well, what is happening underground is another matter!

Tom lives in Seattle. I'm guessing from the little I know, climate won't be too far off much of the UK, so they should do well from that point. Jeannine would know more as she is quite close to him in distance.

I have a mixture of Tom’s varieties growing so a super exciting year for me. I'm hoping I'll see lots of different types, I'm sure some will do better than others and who knows on taste.....but my mouth is watering at the thought!

But I'm also thinking we have some fantastic UK available varieties that will produce berries.   I know I chose some of my varieties around being able to produce berries. One of which is the modern variety Bluebell, the tubers look stunning and they have a good chance of setting some berries as a bonus. I've also used these in a few crosses (Up To Date and Black Bog both Heritage varieties as well as Tom’s Skagit Magic).  Last year I was sent some Ratte and Red Cara tps, they are growing really well, I’ve a few pictures to add of them growing.

Oooh I am off to dig some spuds and I am sure I noticed some setting seed!  I so want to try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go for it  ;D
Any idea what variety the berries are from? The little pods need a chance to ripen before picking, a minimum of 6-8 weeks, longer if you can. Then if needed they can be ripened further indoors. Eventually they soften and give off quite a strong sweet scent, you will know it when you smell it.

Just thought I'd add a reminder potato seed pods are poisonous if eaten.

Edit; forgot a  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 13:59:02 by Jayb »

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2011, 16:06:33 »
Code: [Select]
A tad excited there Anja ? A tad? I'm nearly wetting myself for excitement.. :-X ;D ;D

LOL !!!  :D

Thanks for the updates Jayb, appreciated as ever.  :)
Yes to sharing the seeds, but it does depend on what I manage to get.  I have Blue Salad, Ratte, Belle De Fontanay and Mayan Gold nearby, so we'll see what happens, with any potential crosses etc. Some of these are starting to flower now, so I'm hoping the TPS get's a move on soon.

i got my seeds from Tom, and I said I'd send him some back so he can see what they are like. Which would be very exciting......

10  :)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2011, 17:03:04 »
OOohhhh I have berries from Kidneys (Jersey Royals) and Pink Fir Appple - they are growing next to each other so if they have crossed it could be interesting!
 SO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
What do I do now???????
Grow yer bugger grow!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2011, 19:13:24 »
Just wondering here. I got tubers from Tom which went in late but are growing well..maybe I should try to save seed from those and send them over to you folks.

The list of varieties is long as I got the large sample box , I shared on the duplicates with two folks but  there is  lot of different varieties  currently growing.

Sarp Eye//light red
Kingston /white
Agraria Blue/blue
Skagit Laverston.lavender with yellow spectacles
Escanard River/red skin with red flesh
La Ratte,yellow white
Saturna Early/light yellow
Druid/white
Nordic JT/red
Manistow River/red skin red flesh
Brevert River/violet
Pigs Dont Lie
Sarpo Rolly
Front Man
Dakotah John Tom/light red
Aggie Blue/blue
LB-1 /white
Ozette/bumpy and white
Atlantic/white
Cosignin/yellow with purple eyes
I 1038/white
reiche Kaighan/yellow
Anyas Dream/white
Red Chieftan/Bright Red
Papo Cacho Long/Red with red flesh
Sarpo Lou
Mura white with blue splashes

the above are all in a very high bed, quite isolated from the other gardens and well mulched with straw. There is only one of each planted and I have about three gaps so a few didn't make it but I will take the map with me today and find out which they are.

Below is what I have in pots adjacent to the greenhouse..not on garden soil but closer to other potatoes.
Cheiftan
Cal White
Pink Fir Apple
Red Thumb

I then have 4 large pots with Charlottes planted 2 to a pot which were planted on Jyly !st.These were not from Tom.

I don't know how much successs I will have as they were planted very very late and blight here is a problem but if they do put out seeds I will happilly share them.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2011, 19:20:29 »
B....y  h..l  Jeannine..that is some list.. :o
I take it you like potatoes then.. ;D
I've been eyeing few varieties from new world seeds..La Pan, Land Races, Yungay and Suytu Vilguina..
do you think those 'wild' potatoes would do ok in uk?

pumkinlover

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2011, 19:53:44 »
I am not reading this thread.
I am not reading this thread......
I am not...........

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2011, 00:36:58 »
I am not reading this thread......
I am not...........

he he he he ...... you know you want to..........  :)

Jeannine, I just love the name "pigs don't lie" Tom's a star!

pumkinlover

« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2011, 08:48:27 »
Jeannine- I notice the sarpo name on some of the varieties-
Are these new ones we don't get here or are they the same but a different name?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2011, 14:11:32 »
1066  ;D You should have some super berries from amongst those varieties. I reckon you are in for a treat with Ratte tps. I robbed a few little tubers to try yesterday along with some Red Cara ones, gorgeous.

The variety you had from Tom sounds really interesting and not one he had listed on his site. So Exciting I wonder how they will taste? Super to be sending some back across the pond  ;D

Excellent news Louise stella, both super varieties, IMO and a cross would be really fantastic too. If you have enough seeds you may want to swap some seeds for another variety or two.

What do I do now???????
Now you need to wait for the berries to ripen enough to be able to harvest them for seed. I tie a piece of red wool around stems that have berries, easier to find later on. I tend to use the plants without berries first, or just have a firkle underneath and take a few.
The little pods need a chance to ripen before picking, a minimum of 6-8 weeks, longer if you can. Then if needed they can be ripened further indoors. Eventually they soften and give off quite a strong sweet scent, you will know it when you smell it.

Just thought I'd add a reminder potato seed pods are poisonous if eaten.

I’ve got a couple of pods that got knocked off by accident ripening on an inside windowsill. I’m hoping they were mature enough to have seeds inside. I’ll leave them until they are soft and squidgy.

Stunning list Jeannine, lets hope for berry overload  ;D

Goodlife, So far La Pan, Land Races, Yungay are all doing well in Wales. I’m not growing Suytu Vilquina this year so can’t comment on them yet.

LOL at Pumpkinlover yes grow some, you know you should  :P

The varieties on Jeannine’s list with the name Sarpo are varieties bred by Tom from British Sarpo varieties. They were not bred at the Bangor Reaserch Centre. Although I believe they are working with one (might be more?) of Tom’s TPS varieties  Skagit Magic, fingers crossed they breed further blight resistant varieties.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2011, 14:29:51 »
Some progress pictures of Red Cara TPS

Just starting to really get going, seed was orignally sown at the begining of March, this picture is from June 12th
[attachment=1]

First flower buds visable
[attachment=2]

First flowers blooming on the 15th of July.
[attachment=3]

I firkled a sampling of tubers yesterday, Yum yum yum
Ooops eaten before a picture taken! A mixture of tubers, mostly all white although some with pink around the eyes. One plant had a very rough skin and another discoloured brown? Taste of the small new tubers was good, tasty waxy types that boiled well, no discolouration of cooked flesh.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2011, 14:46:03 »
Skagit Magic flowers and berries just starting to form, this is a Diploid plant, not self compatable although it can cross with full siblings. The berries are quite pointy.  This one was sown begining of March and this picture is dated 21/6.

[attachment=1]

Russian Blue seed pod, much more rounded and typical of a Tetraploid potato.

[attachment=2]

Pretty in White, fading blooms of the variety Black Bog. A really good setter of seed pods, the ones with blue thread are crossed to Bluebell.

[attachment=3]

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2011, 19:09:45 »
I believe the ones from Tom that have sarpo in the name are crosses he has made.

I will save as much as I can from those plants that put out seed so you lot oiver there can have it.

Fingers crossed..all together  now LOL

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal