Author Topic: Growing potatoes from True Potato seed.  (Read 79753 times)

brown thumb

• Hectare
Re: Growing potatoes from True Potato seed.
« Reply #220 on: June 13, 2012, 08:05:47 »
I have some tps seedlings about 8" high, can i put them out side now all danger of frost is over .or do i keep potting them into bigger pots and leave them in the greenhouse

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #221 on: June 13, 2012, 10:04:40 »
When mine were about that size and smaller..I planted mine into buckets..and they are outside now.
They are as tough now as any other potato plant so yes..you can put them outside..and/or pot them on or put them in ground.
I grow mine in buckets as I don't want to chance it loosing those few plants that I have got. If you have room in GH for them to grow bit longer that would be ideal..hopefully it keeps any chance of possible blight getting to them. Tops on mine are now 1 1/2 ft tall so they are getting bit big for the GH and I had to move them out, otherwise I would have like to keep them couple of more weeks under cover while we got all this rain pouring down.. ::)..then again..saves me a watering job.. :-\

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2012, 19:30:02 »
that's for that i will plant them in Morrison's buckets and find some space in the polytunnel

oldpot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2012, 16:53:16 »
you can do both i guess brown thumb i put 2 -3 inch ones out today (late sowing dunno if i get anything off them) these are 8 (pic of 4) these are some  plants out side from early may sowing , it my first tiem i was later sowing them so i be happy with any tubers to save for next year and to try hope next year i can start earlier and get better plants .

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2012, 20:05:34 »
WELL...something worked out this year, even if the weather has been so poor.
I've emptied all my buckets and TPS crop was better than I expected. There was even few really big eating size potatoes  :o..I wasn't expecting anything like it...just teeny weenies to grow next year but the biggies were 4-5" long  ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2014, 08:55:48 »
Wow, I missed these posts, spuds look gorgeous Goodlife  :toothy10:
How did they taste and have you kept any of them going?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2014, 10:54:58 »
Wow, I missed these posts, spuds look gorgeous Goodlife  :toothy10:
How did they taste and have you kept any of them going?

gosh...that feel like ages ago...

Yes, I did planted the seed potatoes last year and got quite good crop from them....actually bit too good as many of the varieties I haven't even started eating yet.....shed is still 'full' of potatoes'... :BangHead: I might have grow tad too many...
There couple of that were originally from you and they didn't suit my soil/climate at all...the tops did grew well but they come to season too late to able to make much tubers...but..they didn't get killed by blight even I allowed the plants to grow until they were finished by cold weather. One of the seed varieties that I got from Seemnemailm was 'Farmer'....and that I liked a lot. Nothing unusual about the variety, just 'basic' white spuds..but it produced good even sized potatoes with nice clean skin and no disease problems. The spud were tasty and on more of waxy side with texture.. :icon_cheers: BUT..I gobbled all the spuds so there is none saved for this year. I might order some more seeds in near future.
I'm going to do some serious 'digging' in shed and go through my stores..and go into spud diet...get some smaller ones to sprout and soon it will be planting time again.. :icon_cheers:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2014, 11:08:40 »
Brilliant results  :icon_cheers:
I have several potato varieties from Seemnemailm, but I don't think any called Farmer, although I may not have translated them very well. Have you a picture of the packet?  I still haven't had a chance to sow any tps from them, maybe next year.

Yes some of the TPS I had are late to produce spuds plus they are indeterminate sorts so just carry on growing.

I know that time of year, I looked out this thread as I'm just picking out what to sow (tps) for this year.

Good luck with your digging  :toothy10:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2014, 11:15:23 »
Here we are...

..and there was still few seeds left in the packet, though not sure if they would germinate anymore..but I'm going to try.... :icon_cheers:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2014, 11:58:41 »
Yes they should germinate, I believe they are longer keeping than tomatoes. I had some good results from Blue Belle seeds, some lovely marked tubers.
Just checked, sorry that's not one I have.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2014, 17:04:37 »
Mine are sprouting on the windowsill. I keep the seeds in the freezer with the other rarities, but from what I've read they're pretty long lasting. They should grow.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #231 on: April 16, 2014, 09:30:03 »
So, a few years back me and my two allotment neighbours decided to save some TPS seed from our favourite potato, Amorosa. Only one of us manged to get seed that year. He sowed it and gave me some of the plants, and I grew them in pots so that tubers were quite small. I saved those and when they started shooting this year I potted them on and at the weekend I popped them into a corner of the allotment, nice and deep. The roots had already started forming tiny potatoes.

I just wanted to post on this now to track them and give updates when come back on here.

seedman

« Reply #232 on: November 08, 2016, 18:25:18 »
I joined the forum because of this great thread, hope it hasn't died and that folks have made continued progress. I'm new to TPS and hope next year to sow my first proper seeds along with some tubers that I hope to be crossing ;-)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2016, 18:33:59 »
I joined the forum because of this great thread, hope it hasn't died and that folks have made continued progress. I'm new to TPS and hope next year to sow my first proper seeds along with some tubers that I hope to be crossing ;-)
Welcome to the forum seedman.  Where do you garden?  Which tps are you planning on growing?  Even more intriguing which potatoes are you planning to cross?  Not easy.  Will follow your progress with interest.  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal