Author Topic: Grape vine in a pot  (Read 3735 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Grape vine in a pot
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:17:57 »
I have a small front garden which is south facing.  I was thinking of planting a grape vine in a pot and training along the wall.
Any ideas suggestions on the variety?

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Grape vine in a pot
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 19:40:44 »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but grapevines tend not to do very well in pots since the root system is extensive and likes to wander down deep. (this is the reason established vines don't need watering.)

The other problem is vine weevil (named because vines are one of their favourites) that flourish in pots. :BangHead:
A potted vine will need regular treatments against it.

If you have a really large pot you may get away with it but it would have to be pretty big I'd say.

Another plant better suited to a container may save you some trouble. :happy7:

If you are determined to press ahead choose the variety you like. An over vigorous vine in the ground will grow less vigorously contained while a less rampant grower will be happier longer.

As I say sorry to be a party pooper but my comment is based on  experience. :happy7:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 23:16:24 »
Just use the space in the ground where you were going to put the pot.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 08:46:09 »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but grapevines tend not to do very well in pots since the root system is extensive and likes to wander down deep. (this is the reason established vines don't need watering.)

The other problem is vine weevil (named because vines are one of their favourites) that flourish in pots. :BangHead:
A potted vine will need regular treatments against it.

If you have a really large pot you may get away with it but it would have to be pretty big I'd say.

Another plant better suited to a container may save you some trouble. :happy7:

If you are determined to press ahead choose the variety you like. An over vigorous vine in the ground will grow less vigorously contained while a less rampant grower will be happier longer.

As I say sorry to be a party pooper but my comment is based on  experience. :happy7:

Well I would rather be told than waste my limited time.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 09:03:02 »
Just use the space in the ground where you were going to put the pot.
Sadly I was going to put the pot on some concrete.....

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 08:10:02 »
You could try a rose, clematis, honeysuckle or some other. If you want a fruiting plant you could go for blackberry Reuben, a primocane smaller growing large fruited kind or Navaho.

Or blueberry, gooseberry cordon, fan etc. red/white/pink currant.

If you are feeling more adventurous suggestions include chokeberry, Saskatoon, chilean guava, honeyberry.

I'm sure you will find something you are happy with to fill the space. :happy7:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal