Author Topic: No relation to allotments4all  (Read 4364 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: No relation to allotments4all
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 22:21:24 »
I don't know why they do it - think they can rewrite the classics beyond recognition - takes the kind of  overconfidence that's usually weeded out by heavy traffic before puberty (in a 'Darwin awards' sense).

What is the point? It's the audience that suffers while they preen in the Emperor's new clothes at the Groucho.

It's the kind of baseless hubris that makes the early rounds of American Idol such a guilty pleasure (in this context the mediocrity in later rounds is the greater horror).

Of course there are some geniuses who can give you a pleasant surprise (even if you spend your life watching TV and theatre you're lucky if you see two in a lifetime).

Mostly - disaster: along the same lines I wouldn't really call Agatha Christie a classic in the sense of M.R.James but what they did to the previous Marple was a disgrace (poor Geraldine McEwan - it wasn't really her fault).

My condolences...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 22:23:53 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 22:52:18 »
Television has redeemed itself, after that awful pointless "Whistle and I will come to you" I have just watched the biopic of Morecambe and Wise. Fantastic, brought back memories Re:- the old TV, My Granny was the first in the family to get one. It had a nine inch screen with a magnifier attached. When we all sat down to watch the Coronation all the curtains had to be closed. Poor Grandpa was in charge of the aerial perched on top of the curtain rail, the set fizzed more than showed a picture. It was so exciting I remember bragging about it at school I was only nine at the time and this was new technology. How far we have come?
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 23:13:45 »
certainly agree 'Eric & Ernie' Bril - more of that plse.
Any thing where Victoria Wood has an input suits me -but this was was really good, I thought the best T.V. over Christmas! certainly did not realise that Eric's mom had such an impact, realise it its only a dramatised version however much have some relevance!.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 23:28:19 »
I'm sorry ... But why is this in the basics forum ?

You're quite right! It should probably be in "the Shed", but hey! it's Christmas, let's not worry about it!  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal