Author Topic: Boot protector  (Read 8018 times)

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Boot protector
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:16:43 »
Searching for anything today is absolutely useless.  I have been dumped so many times.  It took me four attempts to get to this stage!!

What is going on!

My problem is that I have to do a lot of digging with a shovel.  This has an affect on the sole of my boots.  So I am looking for a metal protector to place over my boot.  I have seen it advertised and always thought that looks good but now i need it I can't find it.

Anyone have any ideas or can direct me to site where i can buy it on line (once the web cools down that is).

I realise that this will take sometime but any help would be appreciated (even what to search for).

Regards

Bill

tumsh

• Not So New ...
Re: Boot protector
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 15:10:00 »
Hi Bill,

Can't say I've seen this boot thing but I would think it would be cheaper/easier to get something to fit along the sharp edge of your shovel, e.g. a bit of garden hose or plastic pipe sliced longways.

Bill Door

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 19:57:01 »
Thanks for the response Tumsh.

I have tried that and an old hinge both get pushed of after a few cuts.

Welding the hinge on is a possible option but I have read about this boot protector and I wish to give it a shot.

Appreciate the reply

Bill

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 22:28:43 »
I have had a good look through the www and I think what you are asking for is now obsolete!

What is happening now is; safety footwear is being designed and made with the ' steel mid sole' built in as opposed to an attachment.   

If you search for; steel mid soles' you will see what I mean.

I guess it's another elf and welfare demand.

Perhaps the attachments which I vaguely remember turned out to be dangerous and necessitated the changes.

On reflection I think the moulded in version would be much better if only to keep people from damaging their feet if they stood on a nail. Add to that support for digging and you have a good product.

So it looks like you need a pair of safety boots.

They come in wellington and boot versions.

Get a pair on your christmas list.

Bill Door

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 23:18:22 »
Thanks for the input TeeGee,  appreciate the time.

I think you are right but I was hoping that there was somewhere out there that had these hanging around.

Will try another search as you suggest.

Regards

Bill

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 05:31:13 »
Cyclists use a sort of plate to help avoid wear on the soles of their shoes, like this:
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A0480
Don't know if they would be suitable?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:32:55 by jennym »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 07:24:13 »
What about Freecycle, you never know someone may hay have them hidden away somewhere.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:01:43 »
You could also consider these but I think they would get a bit heavy in sticky conditions.

http://www.lowpriceshopper.co.uk/sportsaccessories/products__keyword--cheap+crampons.html

I know the tread in my boots pick up loads of muck/soil if conditions are a bit sticky e.g when the frost starts to come out of the ground as it was yesterday!

So god only knows what these would pick up, then again muck might fall of the spikes easier than from treads.

So it is now a case of 'getting stuck in' and buy a pair? ::)

Bill Door

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 19:13:59 »
Thanks all for the replies. 

Nearly PMSL TeeGee.  My allotment is on a bit of a slope.  Now all i need is some decent rope.  Know anywhere TeeGee  8)

Bill

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 19:38:31 »
How about clogs, we used to wear them for school gardening lessonsi n the 40's

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 21:54:41 »
I knew somebody that used an old roller skate with the wheels knocked off. But with a hacksaw and a bit of dexion and some old sandal straps you could make something. Dont be tempted to try the steel reinforced boots, the metal inserts bend, you can bang them staight again but it breaks before the boots wear out.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 08:13:21 »
Rigger boots with a stiff grippy sole would probably be much cheaper (and more useful) than any attachment. Or look for a new shovel with a wide footplate.

If the thing you put over your boot is metal it is likely to skid on the metal of the shovel as it would have no grip. Tee Gee is probably right and I expect they are obsolete, possibly for good reason!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 12:35:28 »
Safety boots are one answer; the other is to look for an old spade. Some of them (is it London pattern?) have the top edge of the blade turned over at 90% to deal with precisely this problem.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 07:24:48 »
I know we have a spade which is wide at the top so that it does not cut into the boot. It is rather an old one but it is far less damaging.

There are spades on the market with this design and it may be easier to replace a spade (expensive though)

http://www.growhouse-greenhouses.co.uk/border-spade

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=GGT-345&AffiliateCode=FSHED&cookie_test=1

The nearest idea I can find for what you want is an L bracket.

If you can get an L bracket the right size to fix to the heel it could work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal