Author Topic: Apple, Pear and Plum Trees - varieties and how close together?  (Read 4444 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
I would like to plant dwarf varieties (given limited space) of apple, pear and plum trees (one of each).  Would like to have recommendations for self-pollinating, good-fruiters.  I know its also a matter of "taste" - but generally, I would be looking for a Braeburn-type apple, soft-sweet pear, and Victoria-plum - although would love the chance to grow something other than your bog-standards.

Are there any issues in planting them in adjacent beds - soil type, recommended minimum clearance etc.  And when is the best time to do it.

Thanks to all.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Apple, Pear and Plum Trees - varieties and how close together?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 15:15:53 »
If you get the right rootstock... Minarettes are on M26 I think... you can grow them on 3' squares quite succesfully. Plums can be a bit vigerous so if you could spare 4' square that would be better.
Varieties... could be here all day. For the pear I'd go for Jargonelle if you can still get it.. fruits early in Late July/August but not a good choice if you go abroad mid summer...
Plum I'd prefer a gage and apple Fiesta is still a good choice, or discovery if want an earlier crop..  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 15:17:24 »
The space between trees depends of the rootstock and what shape of tree you are going to grow. Gordon/minarette is shape that you can grow 4ft apart (in apples),,but then you have to keep into pruning regime or your trees won't deliver and will out grow their space. With smaller root stock..say M26 (very common now) with standard of bush shape tree you cand squeeze them 6-8 ft apart...but then the regular pruning is still issue..10-12 ft would be more ideal and allow little slackness with 'aftercare' ;)
Best time to plant trees are now..from November untill end of March..with bare rooted trees. Pot grown you can buy and plant all year round, they are more expencive but not any better than bare rooted.
There is quite a lot of self-pollinating varieties about on each of the fruit type..but even as sold "self-polinating" you might find crop quite dissapointing more so with some varieties than others.
Soil type is not too much issue, providing you improve any extreme situations..like really heavy clay or really light sandy soil.
As for varieties... you do have to make some 'homework' with this and keep reading different nurseries descriptions. Some sites to study..http://www.orangepippin.com/suppliers.aspx

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 16:42:01 »
Much appreciate the good advice. Many thanks

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 23:40:19 »
Personally I'd ditch the pear because the ones in the shops are fine - they ripen off the tree perfectly well and if you leave them on then the wasps will decide when you have to eat them, because they rot within a few days of being chewed. If you really must have one then go for Concord or Conference - the former is softer and sweeter.

I read widely and have been doing so for 20-plus years.

I've read a couple of accounts by people with great gardening experience who have done their very best to grow cordon plums - it's not a good bet. Much better to find a little bit more space to fit a festooned tree (look it up) and squash the apples more. Early Transparent Gage is very good and naturally a much smaller tree than Victoria - both are self-fertile.

My advice would be to take advantage of the absolute minimum apple cordon spacing - I have had good results from 45cm spacing and I have read several good accounts of people who have planted two cordon apples in the same hole.

This releases you from the tyranny of self-fertile varieties - and the risk of bog-standards. If you like Braeburns I would recommend Ashmeads Kernel (pollination group 4) and Claygate Pearmain (also 4) and William Crump (5). Pitmaston Pineapple (3) and Orleans Reinette (4) are more like a cox but better - everyone loves them. 3 & 4 or 4 & 5 are fine but don't risk 3 with 5.

If fitting 2 apples in 2 or 3 square feet (M26 rootstock on ordinary soil, M27 on rich) means you can give a plum (on Pixy rootstock) 4 or 5 square feet (or more) then you have avoided spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:57:13 »
Allan Titchmarch was on telly with his new 'gardening' program and was talking about fruit trees...he was showing different form of trees..step overs etc. If you have a look of that in Iplayer...it may give you few more ideas to utilize your growing  space ;)

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 10:02:10 »
Your replies were on the money. Lots of helpful advice and the web-sites were very useful.

Thanks to you all

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal