Author Topic: Jeannine!..... what have I grown?  (Read 6050 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Jeannine!..... what have I grown?
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:49:30 »
Chriscross - I had a look at Amy Goldman's book, and she has several that are listed as  "Bi-color", from the pepo family. And they have similar looks to yours. Might be worth doing a google images search  :-\

I dug out my Goldman this evening too... Bicolour Pear, listed as an ornamental.... not good news.....

chrisc

The Bicolour Pear does look similar, but I've seen a picture somewhere, sometime, that reminded me exactly of your squash - but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it, but it was a bi-colour. Will have to wait and see if the memory can whirr into action ......

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 15:55:27 »
Poor person, squash mad, person with tastebuds here  ;D
we had butternut squash/kestrel mash last night, can't eat mashed spud but with squash,it's brill  ;D
p.s., one of our friends gave us some 'squash' that was bi coloured, tasted absolutely manky, quite spoiled the pork chops..they were gourds :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 16:01:44 by manicscousers »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 16:35:51 »
Poor person, squash mad, person with tastebuds here  ;D
we had butternut squash/kestrel mash last night, can't eat mashed spud but with squash,it's brill  ;D
p.s., one of our friends gave us some 'squash' that was bi coloured, tasted absolutely manky, quite spoiled the pork chops..they were gourds :)

The two bicolours in the chapman book (Bicolour Pear and Bicolour Spoon) are both listed as inedible. There is another one that has sort of bocoloured skin as well but it too is listed as an inedible ornamental./....

chrisc

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 21:20:27 »
I know it takes all sorts, but I just can't get into the idea of inedible veg. I know there's nothing wrong with it - I grow flowers for their looks, not to eat. But ornamental cabbages and gourds  ...

Maybe you can hollow out and at least store something in it??  ;D

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 23:58:48 »
What ever it is, I am sure you are not desperate enough for food to eat it otherwise you would not be asking.

Squashes are poor people food, intended to fill up slaves and dirt farmers who NEEDED to be fed so that they could continue to be fed and would work for the master.

They grow quick and are excellent as a teaching tool for children and new gardeners but they have little taste and take up a lot of room which experienced growers would rather devote to other things.

Other than butternut squash which I like roasted with garlic butter and olive oil. I wont waste time and space with them.

I was feeling very cheery and happy with the world ~then I read this the above ::) ..so so negative.... but always grateful for a little bit of history!!
Right then  I must get on and store my 28 +squashes and then go and stand on my favourite corner and beg for some money ::)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 09:13:48 »
I have been reading all the posts, and I am lost to say the least I did not know there were so many diffrent types.
Well all I have grown is Jack o lantern  pumpkins for my grandchildren for Halloween. [never grown them before] these have grown very well, and what I need to know is can someone tell me please. if I have to harvest them now the weather is turning colder, or do I leave them to turn orange first.
Thank you I have enjoyed reading the posts ;D
   June.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 09:19:13 »
nice one Bridgehouse  :)
I haven't grown that variety before but usually you want to bring your pumpkins and their friends in before the 1st frost. Some people cure their pumpkins in their greenhouses, others (me!) on their window sills - there they will continue to ripen, but it may take a little while. I'm sure your grandkids will love them anyway  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 09:21:09 »
I have been reading all the posts, and I am lost to say the least I did not know there were so many diffrent types.
Well all I have grown is Jack o lantern  pumpkins for my grandchildren for Halloween. [never grown them before] these have grown very well, and what I need to know is can someone tell me please. if I have to harvest them now the weather is turning colder, or do I leave them to turn orange first.
Thank you I have enjoyed reading the posts ;D
   June.

Until you're forecast frost they might as well stay out, though I'd make sure they're up off the dirt (use a paving slab or something) cos the slugs get interested in them. When you do cut them they'll appreciate a sunny wiondow sill to help ripen off. If they're already orange then I'd harvest them and get them indoors now, we're hitting the pumpkin stealing season round here....

chrisc

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 09:47:09 »

Thank you both, I will keep an eye on them. and on the weather forcast.
    June.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal