Author Topic: Glut of Victoria Plums  (Read 13477 times)

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Glut of Victoria Plums
« on: August 28, 2010, 21:28:39 »
I have a glut of victoria plums. Have given about 50 lbs away.
Has anyone got a recipe for plum chutney?

Thanks
YL

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Glut of Victoria Plums
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:22:53 »
You can just freeze plums as they are, or with the stones removed. To make into pies crumbles, jams, chutney or plum sauce (which is lovely) at a later date.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/630042

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/511709

http://cooking4chumps.com/Chutney%20Plum%20Recipe.html

The above are pretty similar for the chutney, just a small variation with types of sugars and spices.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-plum-sauce-203

I use a stick blender to make the sauce perfectly smooth.

The sauce, I don't find keeps well, so I freeze in small plastic containers.

If you put a plastic bag into containers, (to use as a mould)  when the food freezes, you can take out the plastic bag and tie it up, then put it back (labled so that in a few months time when you rediscover it you know what it is) into the freezer, this releases the plastic containers for re-use.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 13:36:53 »
Our favourite recipe for chutney using victoria plums is Delia's Old Dowerhouse Chutney.  It's wonderful.

I think you should be able to get the recipe from deliaonline.  But if you have any difficulty finding it I can post a copy.  It's from her Complete Cookery Course book.

valmarg

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 14:08:45 »
found this from flowerlady posted last year.

I think this is the one you are looking for !  ;D

Old Doverhouse Chutney

Complete Cookery Course – Delia Smith

1 ½ lb (700g) Victoria Plums
1 ½ lb (700g) Cooking Apples – weigh after peeling
8 oz    (225g) green or red tomatoes
8 oz    (225g) onions
1 lb     (450g) stoned raisins
1 ½ lb (700g) Demerara sugar
4 oz    (110g) preserved ginger in syrup                           
¼ oz   ( 5 g )  garlic – finely chopped
¼ oz   ( 5 g )  whole chillies
1 ½ tbsp cooking salt
1 pint malt vinegar

Method:

Pick over plums, wash, cut in half remove stones, cut halves in two or three if very large.
Roughly chop tomatoes, not too small.

Place both into preserving pan.

Chop or coarsely mince, onions, apples, raisins, and preserved ginger and add these to pan, together with chopped garlic, vinegar, salt and sugar.

Tie chillies in bag, and add to mix

Cook chutney very slowly 1 - 1  ½ hours, or until liquid has evaporated.  May need stirring during cooking

The channel test !!

A chutney is ready when the vinegar has reduced sufficiently.  The way to tell is to make a channel with a wooden spoon right across the surface of the chutney.   If the spoon leaves a channel imprinted for a few seconds – without it being filled with vinegar – the chutney is done!

but this year im using a HFW recipe which im going to make right now.                                                               
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 21:09:32 »
You can do pickled plums, you need firm ones. This is a recipe that's good to eat at Christmas, with meats.
Wash and check over the plums. Prick them a couple of times with a fork. For about 2 kg of plums, take 1 kg sugar and 568ml (a pint) of vinegar, and a level teaspoon each of spices like ginger, cinnamon, allspice. Make up the syrup by dissolving the sugar in the vinegar over a low heat in a thick bottomed pan, add the spices and then the plums. Bring to the boil, then move to a very small low gas and simmer very gently for about an hour and a half. The plums will be cooked and the syrup will be rich and thick. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the plums to your sterilised jars, bring the syrup to a rolling boil and top up the jars with the syrup and lid them straight away.  You end up with about 4lb from these quantities.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 21:03:31 »
Thank you for your helpful replies - I'm going to be busy but want to use them before the wasps attack.

YL

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 19:30:44 »
You'll have to be quick then, the wasps are having a field day with ours. ;D

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal