Author Topic: difference between Calabrese and Broccoli?  (Read 8934 times)

katisue

• Not So New ...
difference between Calabrese and Broccoli?
« on: August 02, 2010, 13:54:59 »
Could someone point me to source that clearly defines the difference between calabrese and Broccoli?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: difference between Calabrese and Broccoli?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 14:46:38 »
I thought that Calabrese was a particular type of broccoli with large green heads,  which presumably originated in Calabria.  I have some Italian seeds which is called Calabrese but which actually produces quite small green heads but lots of them.   

Wkipedia has quite a good description.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broccoli

I have also found a reference to Calabrese being green while sprouting broccoli is purple or white but having found it once I cant find it again.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 15:48:58 »
What we normally call broccoli (tight headed) is actually calabrese while the loose headed forms like PSB are broccoli.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 16:05:44 »
Calabrese & Broccoli are actually a form of Cauliflower and as such are treated in a similar way.

Calabrese is a mild flavoured green sprouting broccoli.

The hybrid varieties produce large green heads, and after harvesting produce a second crop of smaller spears reminiscent of traditional 'sprouting broccoli'

katisue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 16:07:44 »
thanks you for you answers but alas you still have not answered my question by providing a source for info you provided. You all seem to contradict each other  the answers of other I can not take answer as fact with a more reliable source to back up the info.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 16:11:30 by katisue »

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 16:19:08 »
Welcome to the forum katisue (that sounds like a sneeze!). There's no need to post the same question in more than one folder. It will get picked up. This is a very friendly helpful forum. I hope you find it so and that you're able to help and receive help as required. Tell us a bit about your growing?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 16:34:44 »
thanks you for you answers but alas you still have not answered my question by providing a source for info you provided.

Try these sources;

http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetable/calabrese/index.php

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Calabrese/Calabrese.htm

I hope these sources give the explanation you want!

katisue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 17:23:06 »
Tee Gee sorry but sources are too shallow.

Admin here, unfortunately katisue has been banned for multiple user accounts.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 20:49:41 by Admin aka Dan »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 17:25:49 »
Pass!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 17:48:45 »
I get the feeling that katisue is a previous poster here under various guises!
No points for guessing who it is folks!  :)

Katiesue if I'm wrong then how about responding to Ceres comments, also tell us whereabouts you reside and why you want such detailed sources.

Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 17:57:43 »
thanks you for you answers but alas you still have not answered my question by providing a source for info you provided. You all seem to contradict each other  the answers of other I can not take answer as fact with a more reliable source to back up the info.
Katisue, I have read the answers and do not find them contradictory at all. Calabrese is a type of broccoli (it is what you buy in the supermarket as broccoli) which produces a large central head and, when that is cut, lots of smaller "heads". If you keep cutting them before they flower (the bit we eat is immature flowers) they keep producing.
Broccoli proper (or sprouting broccoli) does not produce a large central head and is not green. It is purple or white and tends to be a larger and more sprawling plant.

Why do you need sources? have a look at the seed packets in any garden centre. You will find purple sprouting and white sprouting broccoli early and late and then packets of the green stuff which are randomly called broccoli or calabrese. The Americans call them all broccoli, I believe, which is probably part of the confusion.
They are all members of the cabbage family and particularly closely related to the cauliflower.

None of this really matters for growing them. If you are doing a doctoral thesis I suggest you do an academic search?

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 18:54:10 »
but sources are too shallow.

The Wiki pages have a list of reference books on the subject of broccoli.  I suggest that you need to hove down to your local library and see if you can get hold of some of them. 

None of this really matters for growing
We are more into actually growing the things and for that there is a lot of contradictory advice.  It depends on where you live, what your soil is like etc etc. 

We are not very academic here but there is a huge number of years of vegetable growing expertise around on here.   

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 09:47:08 »
Why do we get users trying to be rude on this forum, posting under silly names, and making undesirable comments? It's a GARDENING Forum for god's sake, what possible thrill can they get out of annoying us and wasting our time? Go post on a newspaper comments page if you think you  have something intellectually relevant to say!

Still, at least some of us can appreciate the comedy value of a daily "hunt the d***head" game...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 12:14:51 »
Fell right into that one this time :P!

That time of the year again!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 17:02:49 »
School's out  ::) ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 18:25:36 »
That second post of hers was obvious trolling.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 18:38:36 »
I think Manics is right.  'She' is a bit bored.   

It is sad that when the world is so full of interesting opportunities that some people can think of nothing better to do than get enjoyment from being disruptive.   

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 18:40:32 »
Despite the name I think that it was plainleaf ( TGG, etc.). He/she (?) has also used Lacysue on another gardening forum!

katisue asked the self same question yesterday on that forum and was later quote...banned for being a repeat offending prat! Oh, and a previously banned registration.

Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 20:09:34 »
Wonder why my answer vanished XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal