Author Topic: measuring with a pole  (Read 5661 times)

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
measuring with a pole
« on: July 21, 2010, 00:14:32 »
What is the length of a pole? and when you are measuring a new plot is it 10 by 10?

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: measuring with a pole
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:11:13 »
A pole (= a rod = a perch) is 5.5 yards. or 5.03 metres linear measurement.  Used as a measurement of area it means 5.5 yds x 5.5 yds.  A 10 pole plot would be 55 yds x 5.5yds

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 07:39:05 »
or variations thereon....  :-X

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 07:46:16 »
Thank you Kepouros! very helpful. I didn't think my plot was that size! This means I can put my name down for another plot.....I'm very happy! We have managed to claim back our allotment land which up to now has been rented out to a farmer. The waiting list for a plot has shot up this year. Anyhow I can now return to the committee and tell them the exact measurements  :)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 13:51:52 »
A pole (= a rod = a perch) is 5.5 yards. or 5.03 metres linear measurement.  Used as a measurement of area it means 5.5 yds x 5.5 yds.  A 10 pole plot would be 55 yds x 5.5yds

a standard allotment is 17 poles, being the amount of ground reckoned to be needed to feed a family of four.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 14:31:45 »
I thought a standard allotment was 10 poles.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 18:17:36 »
a standard allotment is 17 poles, being the amount of ground reckoned to be needed to feed a family of four.
I haven't heard of 17 poles being any kind of standard.  Where does that come from?  Like Digeroo says, 10 poles was generally thought of as a standard or full plot a few years ago, though I think that is changing as people want, or are only able to get, much smaller plots.

The 1922 Allotments Act defined an allotment garden as an allotment not exceeding forty poles in extent which is wholly or mainly cultivated by the occupier for the production of vegetable or fruit crops for consumption by himself or his family.  An allotment garden is really what we think of when we talk about an allotment because the 1922 Act's clauses on security of tenure are useful, but there is no restriction on the size of plot that a council can let, and if it's a single plot of over 40 poles then common law tenure applies and there is no restriction on the plot being wholly or mainly cultivated by the occupier for the production of vegetable or fruit crops for consumption by himself or his family.

The only other reference to plot size is in the 1950 Act which limits the obligation on councils of populations bigger than 10,000 people to provide plots no bigger than 20 poles.

An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 18:55:51 »
10 poles was what I thought was a whole plot.    ???       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 19:09:42 »
I haven't heard of 17 poles being any kind of standard.  Where does that come from?  Like Digeroo says, 10 poles was generally thought of as a standard or full plot a few years ago, though I think that is changing as people want, or are only able to get, much smaller plots.

The 1922 Allotments Act defined an allotment garden as an allotment not exceeding forty poles in extent which is wholly or mainly cultivated by the occupier for the production of vegetable or fruit crops for consumption by himself or his family.  An allotment garden is really what we think of when we talk about an allotment because the 1922 Act's clauses on security of tenure are useful, but there is no restriction on the size of plot that a council can let, and if it's a single plot of over 40 poles then common law tenure applies and there is no restriction on the plot being wholly or mainly cultivated by the occupier for the production of vegetable or fruit crops for consumption by himself or his family.

The only other reference to plot size is in the 1950 Act which limits the obligation on councils of populations bigger than 10,000 people to provide plots no bigger than 20 poles.

here in lincolnshire 17 poles is a  standard full plot, and this is the county built on farming, smallholdings and allotments :D  maybe other counties dont have as much spare land as we do :D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 19:11:27 by lincsyokel2 »

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 19:56:52 »
here in lincolnshire 17 poles is a  standard full plot, and this is the county built on farming, smallholdings and allotments :D  maybe other counties dont have as much spare land as we do :D
Our allotments are the same size, it's just your pole's shorter. ;)
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 22:00:21 »
Our allotme

:o my pole is as long as any mans. If you wernt disabled is challenge you to a duel :P

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 23:40:30 »
I found some useful info:

The size of a standard allotment is 10 rods, and is cultivated traditionally in rows working on a three year crop rotation.  Plot sizes are measured in rods, an old Anglo-Saxon unit so-called because it was the length of the rod used to control a team of eight oxen.

A rod is 5.5 yards (5.03metres).

A 10 rod allotment is 10 square rods in area, 10 x 5.5 x 5.5 = 302.5 sq yd (253 sq m).

Wow! how about that for history.....our amazing fore fathers!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 23:59:04 »
I found some useful info:

The size of a standard allotment is 10 rods, and is cultivated traditionally in rows working on a three year crop rotation.  Plot sizes are measured in rods, an old Anglo-Saxon unit so-called because it was the length of the rod used to control a team of eight oxen.

A rod is 5.5 yards (5.03metres).

A 10 rod allotment is 10 square rods in area, 10 x 5.5 x 5.5 = 302.5 sq yd (253 sq m).

Wow! how about that for history.....our amazing fore fathers!

a rod was the length of a horse team and plough, the distance from the horses nose to the ploughmans heel.

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 00:12:09 »
Wow! thank you lincsyokel2! Brilliant.....I love it!!!  :)

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 10:34:47 »
our plots are about 70 feet by 13 feet. What's that in poles then? (Maths never my strong point). Have we got really small allotments?

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 13:43:38 »
our plots are about 70 feet by 13 feet. What's that in poles then? (Maths never my strong point). Have we got really small allotments?

Pole: 5.5 yards or 30.25 sq yards

70ft x 13 ft = 910 square feet

9 square feet in a square yard

910  / 9 =  101 square yards

101 / 30.25  = 3.3 Poles

so imagine your plot five times wider than it is, thats a standard lincolnshire 17 pole plot.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 13:47:34 by lincsyokel2 »

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 23:39:00 »

Pole: 5.5 yards or 30.25 sq yards

70ft x 13 ft = 910 square feet

Thank you lincsyokel2......can you hear me screaming with joy. I just knew my plot was small....just short of 5 poles. There was I tonight, scratching my head thinking where did I go wrong. Because there aint enough space for all my veggies. The two men on the plots insisted that my plot was 10 poles.....somehow I felt this was not true. I quickly measured my plot and thought about asking on this site. But, thankfully your calculations was there for me to work it out. Hip hip horray...I will now put my name down on the waiting list.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

9 square feet in a square yard

910  / 9 =  101 square yards

101 / 30.25  = 3.3 Poles

so imagine your plot five times wider than it is, thats a standard lincolnshire 17 pole plot.

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 07:22:52 »
Thanks as well lincsyokel2 - gosh, ours are really tiny then - guess it's the demand here that determines size. Some unfortunate people have even been allocated half a plot here! Makes for interesting growing though we've not done so bad for such a  small space actually -  for the first year anyway. Haven't had to buy potatoes, cabbage, lettuce, onions, raspberries for some time now.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 14:31:35 »
i cant imagine how you do it, i struggle to get all i want on 17 poles.

You must be a planning genius, or one of the packers on the Tokyo Underground.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal