Author Topic: Storing seed potatoes until next year?  (Read 3296 times)

SteveC122

Storing seed potatoes until next year?
« on: June 30, 2010, 08:44:48 »
 ??? I have just received a very late delivery of seed potatoes - due to a number of admin mistakes by the online supplier. And, because of this delay, I had sourced stock from an alternative supplier and planted out in the allotment. Really annoying as I now have 8kg of seed potatoes in 4 different varieties which the supplier refuses to take back of refund for. Is it possible to store this delivery for use next year? If so, how should I store them?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Storing seed potatoes until next year?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 09:20:04 »
How annoying. I'd complain to trading standards - it's too late for normal planting, so the product is not fit for use.
You'll have trouble storing them until next year.

USC

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 14:37:09 »
name and shame the company here so no one else makes the same mistake

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 17:47:47 »
Hi SteveC122 I put a load of small potatoes from last years crop in my greenhouse last year after lifting them early due to blight in a couple of blue plastic baskets,covered them with an old curtain and forgot about them till I was cleaning the greenhouse out this spring,and used them for my first 3 rows this year,In many areas, it's quite possible to plant potatoes in August. Depending on weather, you should be able to start harvesting your potatoes two to three months later,try asking around as some people my be wanting some for that reason,try putting some in a basket in cool light place and cover them with a blanket,I didn't cover mine enough and they turned a lovely shade of green but still chitted.If you have room stick a couple of kg in now you aint got nothin to loose in my book
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 17:51:45 »
I have managed to store seed spuds in dry compost but the compost must be bone dry.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 19:10:58 »
Personally I would plant them be it in pots,bags or just a big hole and let them replace themselves.

By that don't plan on eating any of the results ( unless they turn out good & plentiful)

At least this way you will have them in optimum conditions for the next three or four months.

At the end of the season lift them select suitable tubers for saving (eat the rest) let the skins dry a bit then bury them in dry peat, straw or paper bags. i.e. anywhere that is dark,frost free and dry!

I think trying to keep them as they are will prove fruitless as they may de-hydrate and or rot then there are the mice ::)

Best of luck choose which way you go!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 19:22:49 »
I would push the company to accept them back and get a refund!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 19:30:16 »
That's ridiculous, demand a refund and tell them to come and pick their potatoes up.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal