Author Topic: Advice for a newbie Rhubarb wine attempt  (Read 32660 times)

smudger28

• Quarter Acre
Re: Advice for a newbie Rhubarb wine attempt
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 22:39:23 »
Hi Neil

I have racked the wine once and waiting now for the second attempt.  It hasn't cleared but it can take up to 3 times to clear before you need to think about chemical help... Be patient I have been told LOL....

So that is in the garage with an airlock fitted.

Since then I have embarked on my first red wine attempt from black berries that has been a bit emotional LOL.

I have all the berries in my freezer now to make English Port.  That is the next project.

Present day I have made a simple wine that adrian suggested on this thread using wine and supermarket juice.  The yeast went in today so let's see what happens.

My best advice would be always use glass demijohn's.  Plastic one's can leak....

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 18:44:46 »
Thanks for the update Paul.

I really want to give something a try, but very limited for space. The Mrs doesn't know i'll be making wine soon  ;D

Neil

smudger28

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 10:54:16 »
Ok quick update

Adrian's rhubarb recipe has now been transferred into the secondary and airlock fitted.  I have placed that in the garage for the time being.

Blackberry wine is still fermenting in the garage.

I'm still in need of some port yeast to begin my next project.

In the meantime I'm going to get some of this going which is from the Home Wine and Beer Making Forum courtesy of Wurzel.

I think Steve also suggested the same sort of thing earlier in the thread.

This is an adaptation of a recipe by B.C.A. Turner.

It is a very simple and cheap recipe but I was sufficiently impressed with the end result that I would like to share it with you all.

1 litre carton  Del Monte 100% pure orange juice.
1 litre carton Tesco’s pure pressed white grape juice.
1½ lb sugar.
1 tsp nutrient
G.P. yeast
½ tsp tannin
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp glycerine
Water to 1 gallon

Desolve sugar in a pint or so of boiling water.

Stir all the ingredients into 1½ pints cold water till well mixed and aerated.

Top up to 1 gallon, check initial S.G. which should be about 1.090 and adjust if necessary.

Ferment as usual under air lock. Rack at 1.000 (or ferment to dry and back sweeten) and add 1 crushed Campden tablet plus potassium sorbate.

Clear as per usual and bottle, the wine is ready for immediate consumption but will improve with time.

Serve this medium dry wine slightly chilled. It has a pleasant fruity nose, an attractive orange tint and good mouth feel thanks to the added glycerine.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 08:59:04 »
Hi Paul,
            I have sent you a message on the rhubarb wine, & then I read this post, so for your info (& anybody else`s) For your port style wine use the Gervin GV4 high alcohol yeast. Now sold by Muntons through the home brew shop. When Gerry Fowles first introduced this we used to hold regular wine tasting sessions & he was still working at the University, I made a Dessert wine with this yeast & he analysed the end result to have 19% alc. This is very good purely through fermentation, so it is the one to use for the style of wine you are trying to make.
                                                 Cheers, Adrian.

smudger28

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 14:36:34 »
Hi Adrian

I have purchased some Ritchies Port yeast.  It must be the same high alcohol yeast as Gervin.

Cheers

Paul

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 13:15:42 »
Smudger, can't get Tesco's here, but do either of those juices have sugar added?  thanks for the recipe- shall try it.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

smudger28

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 21:39:57 »
Hi Granny A

I haven't looked at the cartons, sorry.  I just bunged it all in and used a hydrometer to measure the sugar...

Paul

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 01:48:12 »
Hi Granny A

I haven't looked at the cartons, sorry.  I just bunged it all in and used a hydrometer to measure the sugar...

Paul
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I've made some with bottled purple grape juice and added other things to it. some was pretty tasty and much easier than doing the fruit prep.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

smudger28

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 18:29:27 »
Will keep you updated!

pumkinlover

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 13:51:22 »
I must be lazy or "tight/ careful/ frugal" ! having made wine the "proper " way for years i now cook rhubarb GENTLY in the microwave. then CAREFULLY strain off the juice make sure no rhubarb goes in to the juice. the rhubarb gets eaten as stewed fruit and the juice put in freezer trays.  Then when i have enough and time i put it in the demijohn- about 2-2.5" depth and add yeast, sugar, nutrient etc. I don't expect to win prizes with it but we are happy to drink it. Also i was once told to cut about 2" down from the leaves when chopping the leaves off as this makes the remaining stalk less acid esp. when using for fruit dishes as the top part of the stalk has some oxalic acid in it.

smudger28

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 20:27:04 »
Wraith are you still about?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal