Author Topic: Homelite F3035 strimmer  (Read 4074 times)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Homelite F3035 strimmer
« on: June 22, 2010, 15:56:08 »
Has anyone heard of a Homelite F3035? Someone on ebay not far from me has one for £50 and it comes with a hedge trimmer attachment. The hedge trimmer looks like a Ryobi extend-it, these sell for £40-£70 on their own.

I have a Homelite F2020 that will not start, do you think the F3035 + hedge trimmer is worth getting or stay away from Homelite?

Neil

ipt8

• Hectare
Re: Homelite F3035 strimmer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 17:49:02 »
Homelite are usually a bit heavier than the professional makes but OK. I am not familiar with the model types. Stihl and Husqvarna are the best for chainsaws and these types of tools.

Are you sure yours doesnt just need a new spark plug or fresh fuel after winter storage. Often the diaphram in the carb spoils if it is not run dry before leaving for the winter, so that may need attention.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 18:07:14 »
Thanks for the reply.

New spark plug set to the correct gap and sparks.
New fuel mixed at 50:1 (manufacturers recomendation)
Carbon filter is clean.
The engine makes a slight puffing sound when trying to start.
When i take the sparkplug out it's slightly damp at the base and smells of petrol, so I asume the petrol is getting through.
What do you mean by the diaphram? can you tell me the page/part number on here please http://www.homelite.nl/pdf/f2020_ut-20788.pdf
The muffler has oil on it, does this indicate anything?
I know nothing about engines so hope the above makes sense.

Stihl are well out of my price range and don't justify the price for the amount i would use it.

Neil

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 07:46:25 »
Ok you say you have a spark and what you say indicates a fuel problem.
Sorry I cant see the diaphram in the parts list.
Of course the plug may be wet from you frantically trying to start it.
Have you ever had it running properly?

It couild be just tuning, or as I say the diaphram.

This carb is different to those I have seen on Stihls and Huskies. I have to say I am not a mechanic but we use saws and suchlike at work a lot. Usually you carefully take off the top of the carb being carefull not to danage the gasket, a mechanic would always fit a new gasket. Inside you see a diaphram which has a little flap that does the fuel regulation, this is instead of a float to enable the machine to work at different angles. This can get tacky if the machine is not run dry before storage. You could try cleaning it but usually you would fit a new one. I would say the machine needs a service if you are not mechanically minded.

The handbook should say how to set the high and low running jets to get it going but again experience or a mechanic is best.

I dont know what your machine costs new but you may find the service, or even a carb service kit makes buying a new machine worthwhile, the smaller ones are not so much nowadays.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 17:17:35 »
Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a try. It did work great until it run out of petrol then when I filled it again it didn't start then it sat in the shed all winter.

I bought a secoond  hand kawaski yesterday for £15. The guy said it run but the head slows very slow. I took off the muffler and it was thick with carbon, I could just about see the piston. After scrapping it all of the strimmer was like a completly different machine.

I'll still try and get the Homelite started as it's lighter.

Thanks
Neil
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 17:19:52 by nilly71 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal